Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 2 months ago

why did a car ride my a-- the whole way home even though i was going 10 over the speed limit?

I was on the highway going home and it's a country highway so not a lot of people on it. Just one car barley over 65 one or two car lengths ahead of me and I was going like 68. The speed limit is 60. I'm a new driver so just wondering why did this guy ride my a-- the WHOLE time - like 15/20 minutes of being as close to my car as physically possible, I was even going a little over the speed limit to appease him but he just wouldn't get off of me. Why?

it was only one lane and one for oncoming traffic. no fast lane on this hw. country highway - not the main highway

Favorite Answer

Because the bozo wanted to go eleven over. Some people have their own idea of fast enough, and you weren't doing it.

But that's okay. Don't stoop to their level, you have your own speed. When it is clear give them room to pass if that's what they're after. You don't need to be in the accident they're going to cause.

Get used to it - there are some tailgating morons out there.

That's what my manual transmission and hand brake are for.

It's been estimated that at least 10% of all American adults have a significant, untreated personality disorder.  So there's at least a 1 in 10 chance that any driver you observe behaving like a moron is actually not right in the head.  People also like to drink and drive.  And almost every driver also thinks he/she is an "above average driver" too - overconfidence can also play a role in people driving poorly.

Best advice I can give you is to either do what you did - continue on your way and do nothing to put yourself in any more danger than the idiot behind you is already putting you in, or if you feel it's safe to slow down and turn off, let them go by and keep their problems to themselves.  The LAST things you want to do is either put yourself in more danger (so don't brake check them, as tempting as that might be to think about) or have to meet the moron face-to-face after they crash into you.  Regardless of fault, some people are crazy and/or you can still be badly hurt or killed in a crash that is ruled the fault of someone else.    Good luck.

• Da

If you were in the left lane you should have moved over. Obviously it wanted to pass you. 10 over the limit is slow. The norm on a highway is 75-80 

.

You're not supposed to drive in the far left unless you're passing other vehicles 

• Erik

Some people are jerks.  When someone tailgates you, the best thing to do is just to ignore them.

Usually the police stop the first car to go by at a high rate of speed.  He could have passed you and been way ahead, but he would be in danger of being stopped.  But, if he could get you to drive 75-80 then you would be the one likely to be stopped and he would have a chance to slow down and drive by with a smile on his face.

'

He wanted you to speed faster, and take the fall for him, but you did not fall for it.   Good.

You were in the fast lane.  Move over.