Learning to play keyboard but not wanting to disturb neighbors?

I just started to learn to play keyboard. In order not o disturb the neighbors, from a long term point of view, which of the following is more harmful as far as forming bad habit in playing the keyboard is concerned?

a) Lower the volume a lot (sometimes barely audible at night), so that I can still hit the keys with adequate finger strength as a pianist is supposed to (it's an electronic keyboard with weighted key);

b) Don't lower the volume (or lower it only a little), but hit the keys lightly so as not to make it too loud.

I'm guessing maybe (a) is preferable, because (b) would result in my getting used to playing too lightly?

I would avoid headphones, which are not healthy for ears long term.

Thanks for the answers. I get that you all suggest headphones are better than the (a) and (b) I listed. But between (a) and (b), (a) is better, correct? Finger strength is important to maintain, right?

Favorite Answer

Headphones should not be a problem if you don't have the volume too high.  Otherwise, I would go with a.

Headphones aren't bad, just keep the volume below what you feel is dangerous. Then it's completely safe, trust me, I'm a physics person.

If you're not comfortable with headphones, try not to play before 7 am or after 7 pm. Neighbours are gonna have to suck it up, as long as you're not mashing keys they shouldn't complain.

Don't try to teach piano to yourself, I'm a pianist, these apps are ruining the music world. Get a good teacher, and remember music isn't about learning to play the chords in the latest pop hit to impress your friends, it's about how you feel when you play the music, expressing yourself through the notes, feeling how the composer felt when they wrote it.

Headphones are only harmful if you have the volume too high or you use them for too long at a stretch. When out it seems like most younger people are listening to music through headphones/

You can lower the volume to where it won't disturb your neighbors and still be loud enough for you to hear what you're playing or you can use headphones.

• Diana

You should try practicing AWAY from the windows.  In fact, make sure that all of your doors and windows are closed before practicing, but be aware that the sound can sometimes leak through them.  So, keep your volume down.  Also, do your practice in the basement.  Lastly, contact your local music shop and ask for info about the soundproof folding walls that they sell.  

I sleep with earbuds, every night for over 50 years. As a career professional classical musician, I have excellent hearing!  We have owned several good keyboards (and a Steinway grand always). If you wish to practice silently - wear headphones!!!  As long as you have them at the same volume as an acoustic piano would be - no problem. If you are heavy handed in the keys, neighbors Bertie l below you might hear THUNK THUNK coming thru their ceiling; put your keyboard on a carpet. But wear headphones - get over you erroneous fears.

You want to have the volume set so that the keys respond normally to your touch and have a reasonable dynamic range.

Unless you have the volume too high headphones are fine. Why do you think they are not healthy?

Why do you believe headphones are unhealthy? They don't damage your hearing if you use them at a sensible level. It is by far the better option for you to avoid disturbing people.