Can I replace an old model radio with a new one?

I drive a 2006 pontiac G6 GTP. I was thinking of replacing my radio with an aftermarket one. But later I saw that the 2008 and up models have the same model and look, but with an aux option in them. If I can get the newer model, could I replace it with the one I have right now?

Sure.

You would be better off with an aftermarket radio rather than changing out an old stock stereo for a new stock stereo.

You could  even get one with bluetooth and not have to plug into an aux at all.  They are fairly cheap these days, and you can either opt to have it installed, or just buy the wiring harness (suggested) so you can wire it up on a table/bench and then just plug it into the car.

The hardest part is usually figuring out how to get the old stereo out - but youtube is full of videos that will show you how to do it.

The aftermarket stereo by itself will most likely sound much better - but the next step it to upgrade the speakers.

Keep it simple and get an aftermarket one.  It will sound better than any factory Pontiac stereo.