What's the point of moving out and renting someone else's property if you can still live with your parents?

I've recently turned 27 and been quite stressed lately because it seems everyone else my age is moving out, but house prices are ridiculous round where I live so I guess some people rent? I still live with my mother but I pay rent every week and help out around the house as much as I can and am trying to find work, but if you can still live with your parents (including after they die and you inherit their house which is what I'll do if I haven't got my own place before my mother passes), then what's the point of renting someone else's property? 

I do have my own life, I take pride in the fact that I'm not lazy or a bum and don't choose to not work just for the sheer hell of it. I have my own money and I pay my mother rent every week, I do have some goals and ambitions for the future but I can't cope with much change at all, let alone diving straight in to paid work, I'd probably have to start off with voluntary work, but I really hate how quick people are to judge and assume some people are just plain lazy.

I really do despise how people are so quick to judge. They don't take any possibilities into account when thinking about people's lives. I have multiple mental health conditions which affect my ability to work which makes it harder, but I'm still doing the best I can here.

Favorite Answer

If you have enough generational wealth to be lucky enough to inherit a house, then that's great.  Most people want a life of their own.  Some are okay not be ambitious and independent.  Your choice.  I will say that in most cases it's much more difficult to date and build a family of your own if you live with your parents.

Really, its a freedom thing.  Both for you and your parents.  If you don't mind, and they don't mind, then financially you have a sound arrangement.  Yes, it is odd.  But less so in recent history for the reasons you noted, i.e. housing cost, convenience, etc.  And yes, people will judge you based on the norms of all animals growing up and leaving home. But again, recent decades, it is happening more.

It's called  being a grown up .

Source(s): To your added comment...You are very rude 😉
  • Scott

Because most people your age wish to live in their own place. You've got to grow up sometime.

For me it was more mental than anything else.  It was difficult for me to consider myself a true, independant adult when living with my parents. I stayed at my childhood home maybe a week after college, just long enough to find a place to rent, and in terms of confidence it made all the difference to leave.  If this isn't a big deal for you then maybe you can follow your plan.

Being financially independent and self sufficient is a part of being an adult.

* I don't know why people ask questions on here then go on the defense when they get answers they disagree with ....

Because most people want to lead fully independent lives would be my guess. And if that independence costs rent money as well as all the other bills, then so be it. 

You have figured out life. Congrats.