If you are a runner, have you ever injured yourself while running?

And what was your injury?

• 12 hours ago

This is going to sound dramatic but apart from the cursed hamstring strains and strained calf muscles, I managed to avoid serious injuries over many years of marathons and half-marathons until one day in a half-marathon I sustained a bad strain which eventually resulted in my right achilles tendon rupturing. I know there are other bad injuries you can get but for me that was the worst imaginable. Took me 18 months to get back on the road. Eight weeks in plaster didn't do the trick and so I had it stitched - 'cross-stitch' the surgeon joked! Looking back now I just think it's a matter of taking care of yourself. Not running beyond your capabilities and regard rest days as part of the training and improvement cycle. Best of luck!

I have had several injuries over the years. The worst injury was when I fainted while running on a concrete pavement. I hit my face off the ground and needed 10 stitches in my nose. I also hit my knee off the ground and was unable to run for 8 month. I never got it checked out but it was swollen as bid as a ball for about 3 weeks and to this day it still gives me problems. I probably needed surgery at the time. Other injuries include Plantar Fasciitis which I got while training for the marathon and I regularly have tight calves which I stretch as much as possible,

• .

Yes. I developed plantar fasciitis in 2018 and stopped running for about 4 months, while doing all kinds of at-home exercises and self therapy to get over it (then switched to really cushy shoes when I began running again). I've also had issues with tendinitis and possible bursitis, but was able to make some changes and resolve those issues without having to take months off running. 

I had plantar fasciitis many years ago. It was the result of having too many miles on my shoes. They lost cushioning and became too flexible. I caught it early, got new shoes, and quickly recovered. 

In high school, I had iliotibial band (ITB) friction syndrome when running cross country.

I had mild ITB later, when I was an adult, and began running again after stopping for several years. But, then, I knew some stretches that helped prevent it.

• Adam D

I had plantar fasciitis a few years ago.  I was running pretty high mileage, and continued to run on the beach during a week of vacation.  My mileage ground to a halt later that year, and it took more than a year to recover.

I ran track in high school and college and continued running when I became a high school track and cross country coach after college. Injuries I personally suffered while running included multiple hamstring pulls, a strained calf muscle, a couple of sprained ankles and a stress fracture in my left foot. I had a few more serious injuries that required casts and surgeries but they happened in the course of competing as a high jumper and weren't specifically experienced on runs.

I do varsity basketball and track and I've gotten a stress fracture while running last year. 

I've been playing basketball for years, and we do a decent amount of running as part of our conditioning. So I tried out for track. I made the team, but I wasn't prepared for the amount of running that was expected of me, but I worked hard to catch up. What happened as a result is a stress fracture which is basically an overuse injury. 

Source(s): 3-year letterman in basketball and 1-year letterman in track