Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 2 months ago

recommend hour pay for babysitting during covid for 2 kids? ?

I am 16 years old but have 6 years old experience babysitting multiple kids. I have never done babysitting during a pandemic but would like to make some extra cash. What would you recommend I charge? 

What do you normally charge? Charge that. Parents can use good babysitters now. 

• Edna

Pandemic or not - you would charge as much per hour for babysitting 2 kids as you've been charging. You can't raise your basic price just because there's a virus going round.

• LizB

Depends on what other babysitters around your age and experience level are charging where you live.

Be very careful about what you charge.  People go to teenage babysitters to avoid paying the higher price to daycare centers.

Consider this - you are a parent and you need a babysitter so you can work.  Your hourly wage at your job is $15 per hour.  You have a spouse who also works and makes $12 per hour.  Now - how much would YOU pay a babysitter before you decide it is cheaper to stay home and take care of the kids for yourself?  You certainly are not going to give up one person's paycheck just so someone else can stay home with your kids.

So - know the kind of jobs that the people you are going to babysit have.  Then try to decide what price you think they would pay before either finding someone else or not even working at all.  If they have great jobs and they both make over $25 per hour - then you probably can charge $10 or $12 and they would probably pay it.  If either of them make less than $15 per hour - they are more likely to stay home themselves instead of giving their whole paycheck to you.  

Let them offer  you an amount and then you counter offer asking for just a little more.

• nalla

12  bucks an hour

At your age plus with your qualifications and experience if I were you  I'd insist on being paid at least 3 carrots an hour.