Steven asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 2 months ago

how much solar would I need to run 10000 watt sodium lights and how many batterys would I need?

Steven, nobody is chiming in because your question seems outrageous. Did you really mean 10,000 watts of sodium vapor lights, or 10,000 lumens? A 10,000 watt array of sodium lighting would light a small city. 10,000 lumens however would require about 900 watts, still enough to light several acres of land.

If you wanted a 900 watt lighting load to run all night, say 10 hours, you would need about 12 group 27 (105 amp hour) batteries, a 1200 watt inverter minimum, and I would guess a minimum of 2 kilowatts of panels. Panels might cost $2800 USD, a charge controller with suitable capacity another $300, add $250 for the inverter and that size battery should be at least $100 each, so the total cost might be close to $5,000 for a 10,000 lumen array of sodium lighting. Just a spitball estimate. Of course if your lights were on timers and turned of at midnight, or they were switched on maybe 4 hours a night, you could cut back on cost. Take care, Rudydoo.

Source(s): Homepower.com