Sam asked in SportsCycling · 4 months ago

Mountain bicycle or cruiser bicycle? ?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Mountain bike (Stronger frame) 

if using on streets or light-recreation = USE smoother round, less knobby tires.

Maxxis hookworm tires is best overall for all types of riding

SPECIALIZED armadillo tires = flat protection in wide range of tire styles

_____

Cruiser, BMX (single speed, 24/26/29" bikes. Just a larger version) 

_____

Cruiser, comfort "beach cruiser" (easier for rider to get on and ride. SIMPLE TO MAINTAIN/REPAIR. Some are "low entry" new name for ladies bikes) costly if internal gears

• D50
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Are you asking "Should I buy a mountain bike or a cruiser?"? It all depends on what you want to do doesn't it? Your question is like "Should I buy a tuxedo or mechanic's overalls?"

• pmt853
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Can you ask a less sensible question?

• 4 months ago

That depends on what kind of gas engine kit you plan to use doing a mid frame mount.  A mountain bike works fine with the 2 stroke kits.  The 4 stroke kits are a little bigger and fit in cruiser frames better.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

As pointed out already, where & how do you plan on riding?  I get the gut feeling you're looking at BSO (bicycle shaped objects) at either Walmart, Target or both.  Wrong!  1. Cheapest parts and components possible.  2. No service warranty after the sale.  3. No test rides before the sale.  4. Assembled by some minimum wage 'associate', not a trained & certified bike mechanic.  

You'll pay more, but you'll get a bike 1000% better at a bike shop.  You can ask questions & get an honest opinion from a real salesperson, not a clueless 'associate'.  Just type into Google the words 'bicycle shop' along with your 5 digit zip code.     

• 4 months ago

For what purpose??? 🤔  Always buy a bike based on "Where & How" you'll be riding.  MTB's were designed to be primarily ridden off road.  If you won't be riding off road at least 90% of the time, DON'T buy one.  Beach cruiser is fairly self explanatory.  They came about because people wanted a simple bike to "cruise" along the boardwalks of beaches on the west coast - a FLAT surface with no hills.  

If you plan on riding on paved surfaces with any hills, they both suck - especially the beach cruiser.  Heavy, slow & most come as a single speed bike.  I would HIGHLY suggest reading all of this... https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/bikes/buying-g...  

A good "all around" type bike for city use is called a hybrid.  Some companies call them fitness bikes.  Here's but one example...  https://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/pavement/fitne...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.