Fran UK Man asked in SportsBoxing · 2 months ago

Muhammed Ali the racist?

Is there a reason - maybe someone can explain it to me - why the boxer Muhammed Ali, is not condemned as a racist in the US, indeed, regarded as a hero? In 1971, Joe Frazier hammered Ali in Madison Sq in NY (it is on YouTube) and took away Ali's world crown. In the build up to their rematch in the Philippines, Ali repeatedly denounced Frazier - both black boxers - as the 'Gorilla in Manila'.  

Frazier was dignified in the face of Ali's racist spite, but that is irrelevant to my question. Why is Ali, the racist, regarded as a hero?

It was up to me, I would have put him behind bars.

Thanks.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 days ago

He's vastly overrated in boxing like Bruce Lee is in martial arts and Arnold Schwarzenegger is in bodybuilding. . 

• Mier
    Lv 5
    2 weeks ago

Ali was overrated

• Ray
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Ali did say some questionable things especially in his youth [he said far worse things before the second Frazier fight], but he matured and repented in some of his previous more concerning comments. 

As for the gorilla phrase, it was cringy. 

Also, Joe Frazier never took Muhammad Ali's crown. 

The government, Leon Spinks and Holmes are the only ones to take Ali's crown. Spinks and Holmes was when Ali was on social security. 

The government took it away when he refused to join the draft. 

Ali won his liberty and has some tune up fights, Frazier was the champion at the time so Ali fought Frazier for his crown, first bout Frazier won.

• Orla
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Aren't you the wee lad who wrote he just ordered a Confederate flag to hang on his living room wall ??  Are you a racist ??  Just wondering.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

He was one of my favorite  sports heroes growing up-- along with Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, and  Wilt Chamberlain.

• 2 months ago

He wasn't a racist.  Muhammad Ali is our brother that's why we love him.  Some others love him because of his boxing achievements. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Just because Muhammad Ali called Joe Frazier a gorilla does not mean hes racist. 

• 2 months ago

Didn't you hear Black people can't be racist? Besides that racists are not jailed for being and saying racist things. They never have been. The fact that Muhammad Ali has been dead for just over 4 years now has simply made this nothing more than an obvious form of virtue signaling!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.