Can a dealership in Ohio sell a used vehicle “as-is” without catalytic converters???

I traveled to Mazda Montrose Auto Group in Kent, Ohio from New Jersey and purchased my used vehicle on 3/30/20; under the impression that the manufacturers warranty was still good. My vehicle began having engine issues on 5/21/20 and was towed to a dodge dealer for service that day. Dodge dealer tells me that there are no Catalytic Converters on the vehicle and they can not honor the warranty. I call the dealer who sold me the vehicle and they say we sold the vehicle ''as is'' and can't do anything further. I know its a violation of the federal law to sell a vehicle without Catalytic Converters. Now I'm stuck with my newly purchased car that warranty won't fix. Please Help!!! Need Advice on how to proceed. (17’ Hellcat Challenger)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

So...go get some used cat converters. Big woop. Even aftermarket cats.

Call STEVE LETO...YouTube lawyers...LOVES car stuff.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

to my knowledge it is ILLEGAL to sell a vehicle with any problems in EITHER the pollution OR the safety systems ............federal law ............

• 2 months ago

It's illegal for  car dealer to sell a vehicle with out catalytic converters in the USA.

• 2 months ago

my guess, they can sell w/o the cat, you just cannot be on the street w/o it

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You need a lawyer     And don't forget to do a google review

• Scott
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, all used cars are sold "as is". The dealer probably didn't know the car had no catalytic converters. You didn't check it before you bought it, so why do you think they would? 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

See a lawyer. 

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Hire a lawyer, if you believe this to be a violation of federal law.  Let them squeeze the dealer for cost and punitive damages.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.