Anonymous

How can I be a good employee?

I accepted a job offer at a law firm in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

The process was testing in comprehension skills, reasoning, and grammar. Then an interview if a candidate passed.

The interview was via WhatsApp. I really liked the people that interviewed me and they we're pleasant and a bit funny.

I am a little nervous because this is going to be my first real job. I've interned at courthouses but this will be my first job.

I will be working as a legal research assistant. I'm nervous because I've read about how working with lawyers can be crazy and how they like to blame lower level staff. But that's a reputation.

I actually to experience it.

Does anyone have experience working at a law firm?

Favorite Answer

I interned working in criminal law at the public defense office and everyone there was great. You develop a dark humor working in law because of everything you are exposed to. I helped a defense attorney on a double homicide case which involved reading and organizing all the interviews of friends and family, organizing the autopsies by body parts (fu*king nasty) and every single document you could think of. Prosecution and court files, police reports, etc.. It was interesting work. Afterwards I worked as an Anti-Money Laundering investigator catching potential terrorists and what not by their banking activity. If there is one advice I have to give about legal work, it is that attention to detail is EVERYTHING. Triple check your work. 

I now work as an analyst in a finance department for food services. Far less stressful :)

Lawyers are not crazy.  I've worked with many, many of them.  Have only worked with one crazy woman lawyer, out of probably 100.  I have only experienced one who blamed lower staff.  Took a job with a sole practitioner (mistake) and found 8 or 10 affidavits of prior staff, in which they admitted screwing up and taking responsibility for the really bad mistakes made.  Then, the lawyer asked me to sign one, for HIS screw up, to take to the judge of course, for the file.  He told me it was either sign it or he would fire me.  Stupid me - signed it.  The file he could not find - I could not find - I had never seen or heard of was at his home, and it missed a deadline.  Half of the files were not calendared when I was hired and part of my job upon hiring was to go through every file and calendar everything.  Needless to say, many deadlines were already missed and by the time I got through all of the files - soon after, I left that incompetent nut head, who only showed up three times a week.  I later found him on the attorney matrix as having been found to be negligent, unprofessional, censured, reprimanded, on probation, etc.  Attorneys are fine people.  Like anything, it only takes one bad apple to ruin the whole basket.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.