What is normally longer a book or a novel?

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

Honey, a novel IS a book.

"Book" is a generic term. It can refer to many kinds of books, including novels.

A novel can be short or long or something in between. Other types of books can also be short or long or something in between.

There is no one length for a novel, just as there is no one length for other types of books.

I'd say book. When I see the word "book", I think of those that tend to be fat, like textbooks and classic novels that are hard copy, whereas for "novel", I think of modern paperback penguin novels.

Also, I think that the longest novel can't possibly be longer than the longest non-novel book, and the shortest novel would probably be shorter than the shortest non-novel book. 

• martin

A novel usually is longer than the average story contained in a book.

I would say a novel, assuming you're talking about a single book and not a series of books on the same story.