Correct way to name reverend and wife?

We have a photo of a reverend and his wife. Under the photo we have two choices:

a. Rev. John and Jane Doe

b. Rev. John Doe and wife Jane.

Which is the best etiquette wise and why? 

Very funny on photo of strangers. Such answers do not deserve 1 point from Yahoo for posting phony answers. 

The photo will happen to be displayed in a public place and they are a prominent couple in the community and pastor our large church. 

We went to the place where some of the photos are. I only saw one recent one with a caption under the photo. This one sounds awkward and won't be used.

Picture of the two

------------------------------------- Reverend Manson, Dorothy His name was already mentioned elsewhere in the biography (Richard Manson) so under the photo was Reverend Manson and Dorothy was his wife 

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

Well, the traditional way would be "The Reverend and Mrs. John Doe".

However, since many people today object to identifying a woman by her husband's name only, I would choose "The Reverend John Doe and his wife, Jane.

The best thing is to ask them what they prefer so you get it right. 

I would have thought Rev. John Doe and Mrs. Jane Doe. 

That way they both get full mention. 

Rev. John Doe and Mrs. Rev. John Doe is traditional but might not be taken well these days.

Proper etiquette is:  The Reverend and Mrs John Jones.  Don't use abbreviations.

Reverend Green and Miss Scarlett.

Wait, why do you have photos of strangers?...

they both sound okay to me