Correct way to name reverend and wife?

We have a photo of a reverend and his wife. Under the photo we have two choices:

a. Rev. John and Jane Doe

b. Rev. John Doe and wife Jane.

Which is the best etiquette wise and why? 

Update:

Very funny on photo of strangers. Such answers do not deserve 1 point from Yahoo for posting phony answers. 

The photo will happen to be displayed in a public place and they are a prominent couple in the community and pastor our large church. 

Update 2:

We went to the place where some of the photos are. I only saw one recent one with a caption under the photo. This one sounds awkward and won't be used.

Picture of the two

------------------------------------- Reverend Manson, Dorothy His name was already mentioned elsewhere in the biography (Richard Manson) so under the photo was Reverend Manson and Dorothy was his wife 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, the traditional way would be "The Reverend and Mrs. John Doe".

However, since many people today object to identifying a woman by her husband's name only, I would choose "The Reverend John Doe and his wife, Jane.

• 2 months ago

The best thing is to ask them what they prefer so you get it right. 

I would have thought Rev. John Doe and Mrs. Jane Doe. 

That way they both get full mention. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Rev. John Doe and Mrs. Rev. John Doe is traditional but might not be taken well these days.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Proper etiquette is:  The Reverend and Mrs John Jones.  Don't use abbreviations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Reverend Green and Miss Scarlett.

Wait, why do you have photos of strangers?...

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

they both sound okay to me

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.