Samoans: I was told(possibly incorrectly) there is no swimming allowed on Sundays. If true, please explain why this is?

I respect how people in other areas live. I do not blame or think their way should conform to mine. I adapt to places when I visit and follow their wishes. I refuse to be an "Ugly American." I was just curious about the reason only

Favorite Answer

It's a kind of religious thing... Many Samoans follow the protestant beliefs, where Sunday (or Saturday) is the Sabbath, and one should only go to Church that day. As such, it's a day of being "christian", and staying away from enjoyment or servile labour.

I remember, back in the 1950's in Britain, where sports on Sunday were frowned upon, and playing soccer was considered a "sin"....

Blame it on the Christian missionaires from England and the US who proselytized all over the South Pacific in the 1800s.