I own a house in Brooklyn and I need to have my taxes reduced.?

• appeal the assessment.

You don't say why. That's very important to the answer.

FIRST: if you think the value of the home is too high due to the condition, you can go to your local auditor's office and ask when they are holding valuation review hearings. (This is probably not happening right now, but may start again.)  Then, you go to the hearing and state your case about why you think the value of your home has been set too high. Bring pictures or other evidence. It's the CONDITION of the home that matters. If you have only one bathroom, if your house is partially uninhabitable--the tax value may be lowered. 

SECOND: If you are over 65, and under a certain income limit, you can qualify for the Homestead Act Exemption on property tax. But only if you LIVE in the property. 

THIRD:  There may be many other, smaller programs that reduce taxes, based on everything from location to your age, to your neighborhood, but you have to do the research yourself. Many places give an "owner-occupied" reduction in rate. Some give an age-based restriction in addition to the Homestead Act. 

So this is research YOU have to do. Start here:  https://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/property.p...

It involves protesting the valuation and its a time consuming task and any benefit is likely to be small even if you are partially successful. 

If you can't afford living where you are then why are you living where you are?

You would have to challenge the assessed value of the property.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/challenge-...

You ought to be able to appeal the property tax assessment within a certain time period of that assessment.

• fcas80

If your income reduces, your taxes should reduce.

If you are asking in relation to your house - time to consider moving out of the city.

• LILL
      1 month agoReport

Lol....property taxes have ZERO influence on income.

• Ann

I don't own a house in Brooklyn but I need to have my taxes reduced too. I don't know how you afford New York.

That's unfortunate.