I own a house in Brooklyn and I need to have my taxes reduced.?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • appeal the assessment.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

You don't say why. That's very important to the answer.

FIRST: if you think the value of the home is too high due to the condition, you can go to your local auditor's office and ask when they are holding valuation review hearings. (This is probably not happening right now, but may start again.)  Then, you go to the hearing and state your case about why you think the value of your home has been set too high. Bring pictures or other evidence. It's the CONDITION of the home that matters. If you have only one bathroom, if your house is partially uninhabitable--the tax value may be lowered. 

SECOND: If you are over 65, and under a certain income limit, you can qualify for the Homestead Act Exemption on property tax. But only if you LIVE in the property. 

THIRD:  There may be many other, smaller programs that reduce taxes, based on everything from location to your age, to your neighborhood, but you have to do the research yourself. Many places give an "owner-occupied" reduction in rate. Some give an age-based restriction in addition to the Homestead Act. 

So this is research YOU have to do. Start here:  https://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/property.p...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It involves protesting the valuation and its a time consuming task and any benefit is likely to be small even if you are partially successful. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you can't afford living where you are then why are you living where you are?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You would have to challenge the assessed value of the property.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/challenge-...

• 1 month ago

You ought to be able to appeal the property tax assessment within a certain time period of that assessment.

• fcas80
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If your income reduces, your taxes should reduce.

If you are asking in relation to your house - time to consider moving out of the city.

• LILL
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Lol....property taxes have ZERO influence on income.

• Ann
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I don't own a house in Brooklyn but I need to have my taxes reduced too. I don't know how you afford New York.

• 1 month ago

That's unfortunate.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.