Emma asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 4 weeks ago

Can I get a virus on my iPhone by simply visiting a website?

I accidentally clicked a the wrong link because I’m dumb. Took me to a website and immediately this thing popped where is said my phone was in danger and that I had to download this anti-virus app. Got the app but it seemed pretty useless unless I was willing to pay. I don’t have any money so I deleted the app. How badly did I f*ck up?

Favorite Answer

The only way that a website or clicking a link could infect your iPhone is if the website contains an exploit that can exploit a vulnerability in your iPhone. As far as I am aware there currently are no known exploits that can do this on the iPhone.

The other way an iPhone can get infected is by installing a malicious app. Because that website had you install an app there's a possibility that you infected your phone by doing that however as long as you installed the app through the Apple App store you probably didn't install anything truly malicious just a scam app trying to get you to pay for something you don't need. 

Next time understand what scareware apps and messages are and don't believe them. If you really think your phone is infected take it to an apple store and have them look at it. 

The answer is Yes you can.

• Enigma

yes you can,always good to install an av and a free one is good enough

4 weeks agoReport

AV is not necessary for the iPhone.