Is it possible to be a 'cultural American or Australian' from a distance in the EU instead?

As I could not get their respective permanent residency, passports and citizenships, or would being a 'cultural South African or New Zealander' be a better or closer match for me here, already being a dual Netherlands and UK citizen?

To cut a long story short, I tired on and off over the best part of a decade to become an American or an Australian. And I failed. They are not going to let me just come over from Rotterdam to take an HR Advisor job in a company in San Francisco or an HR Business Partner role in an organisation in Sydney.

In addition, I am already married, not willing to sell my houses for a $900,000 USD or $1,500,000 AUD business investment visa and none of these countries do retirement visas anymore. Its essentially just holidays as a tourist only.

However, minus the accent and dialect, is a still possible to be, although not a de jure, a type of de facto American or Australian from the EU and pretend that I am from one of these countries that I wanted with every single fibre of my being, yet their rules on how they handled migration made it impossible in my case and circumstances?

Or given my Dutch and British credentials, would trying to be like a SAFFA or a Kiwi be a better and closer cultural match to me here?

I also looked at Canada but that was impossible as well. I could not break and get into living and working in the new world in short.

Or if you were in my shoes, would you just settle and be happy for who and what you are?

Favorite Answer

Er, no - you can't be an American or an Australian if you're not. 

I have no idea why you don't just accept / enjoy the life you hav.e

• Foofa

If you wish to be "culturally American" you're way more committed to that then most US citizens are in this moment...so go right ahead. 

• Lisa A

What is the point of this question? We know that you will not see a psychiatrist for your problems. We know that you will not get over this.