My internet is 25mbps should I be useing a 5g router or is 2.5 enough?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • BigE
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You probably mean 5GHz or 2.4 GHz wifi.  802.11n can use both frequency ranges, 802.11ac uses 5 GHz.

The better question is are you using n or ac?  Besides overall speed, there are other reasons to use ac if you have ac devices.  They perform streaming way better.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Unfortunately, sir, you are confused a little.

5G refers to 5th Generation protocol, which is mobile networking protocol, whereas the 2.5 that your refer to is indicative of the 2.4GHz bandwidth ... a wi-fi bandwidth.

2.4GHz is probably the most common bandwidth that is licensed to transmit data wirelessly ... until you start getting into radio and/or TV transmissions.

• 1 month ago

I think you are confused.  5G is the next mobile phone protocol and stands for 5th generation.

for internet over wires or fiber from phone companies or cable, get a decent ($80 or more) router that is WiFi 5 or WiFi 6.  It will have both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  The higher frequency will struggle to go through walls but offer great speed if you need to transfer stuff between devices like a big file to a Network Attached Storage device (hard drive on your network, good for backups and storing all your videos)

• 1 month ago

i would ask at a computer place this question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.