What to do?

So I applied to this job where basically you’re a “secret” shopper. They send you a check and you follow the instructions they give you. The thing is I applied a long time ago to the point that I forgot I applied and I just recently got a job 2 months ago so I don’t have time to do the shopping thing. 2 days ago I got the check from them for 1,950$. You’re basically supposed to spend 500$ on the item they tell you to buy, send 1250$ back to this agent and you keep the rest which is only like 200$. I don’t know what to do with the check. I tried emailing them telling them that I don’t have time anymore since I got a job and that where am I supposed to send the check back too. They haven’t replied at all so I don’t know what to do with it. Then my mom keeps questioning me saying I should just deposit it but I don’t want to do that.

I thought those secret shoppers gigs were a scam unless it's the company that is doing the hiring. 

If you do want to be a secret shopper and the place you applied to says "you're gonna be a secret shopper at such and such store." 

Call that store they're supposedly sending you to and ask if the store is affiliated with the company that's sending you to that location. That way you'll know for sure that it's a scam if the store tells you no they're not affiliated with the company you applied to. 

• Eva

This whole thing is a scam. Any time someone sends you a check and tells you to send part of it back to them, it's a scam.  Just tear up the check and don't do this again. Don't deposit the check - it's fake.

That is not a job; it is a scam.  Do not deposit it under any circumstance.  The check is forged, stolen, or no good for some other reason.  You will have to repay the bank for all $1750, both what you keep and what you spent or sent.  You do not keep $200.  You lose $1750.  In additional, the bank may close your account, report you to CheckSystems making it hard or impossible to open an account elsewhere, or call the police and have you arrested.

• Maxi

That is not how secret shoppers companies operate, the 'company' you applied to are not a company at all, it is 100% a scam.... Do as your mother tells you or take it down to the police station long with all and any information you have about them.

As a secret shoppers you are self employed, the 'jobs' are offered on their website once/if you have  been accepted  and registered, you have a password to view the 'jobs' and you apply for each job, if you get it and if it is a purchase you need to make, then you go make the purchase and you get to keep that and send the report and reciept and the company pay you that purchase amount and your small fee............ they NEVER send you money and you NEVER send money back

• Judy

It's a scam.  Don't deposit the check.  It will bounce if you do.

Discard it right away. Do not deposit or cash it. The company will it figure it out so don't worry about it.