Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why do dogs run away from home and can't find their way home? I thought dogs have good sense of smell?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Sometimes it is just that someone found what they thought was a stray dog & kept it.  Maybe?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jojo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Dogs run away from `home` for many reasons eg: like AK has stated.

And its true that some dogs once they find freedom from an unhappy situation, are reluctant to even try and find their way home.The further the dog strays  from home and the longer the time passes, the scent it left on the way out will get weaker and weaker and colder until after about 4-7 days the dog would find it difficult to `back-track on its own scent and find home.Dogs have an excellent sense of smell but they are not infallible. Weather conditions and wind direction and strength, all have an impact on their ability to track.If a dog does not stray far from home, it can often air scent its way back, rather than follow a scent on the ground.

Source(s): GSD owner UK
    • Aged Kiwi
      Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

AK ? I wonder whether you will live long enough to learn my full 15-word title. (Yes, my great-great-great-aunt DID marry a Prince Edward, so I am - albeit distantly - related to QE2,)

• 1 month ago

• "Why do dogs run away from home and can't find their way home? I thought dogs have good sense of smell?"

In YahooAnswers, the first field is meant to end with your MAIN question. So that should have been something like:

● " I thought dogs have a good sense of smell. So why do dogs run away from home but can't find their way home?"

Dogs don't have a merely "good" sense of smell - they have a SUPERB sense of smell. Search the internet to discover that there is no scientific scent detector that is anywhere near as sensitive as a dog's nose - and just how INFERIOR our ability to scent is than a dog's ability.

Your question needs to be considered in 2 parts:

🐩🐕‍🦺#1: "Why do dogs run away from home?"

To which the main answers are:

🔸a: Because their owner should NOT have been allowed to get a dog. Dog-owners need EFFECTIVE BARRIERS to keep their dog(s) home - as with my dogs (below) when not being supervised. Assuming that you are not talking about a cowardly dog that is too scared to be away from its human protector: The more boring their life at home is, the keener they are to go and find a fight, some FOOD, some FUN, or a MATING PARTNER.

In the wild, wolves and dogs (they arose from the same ancestor, and 99.9% of their genes are identical: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dogs-99-percent-... ) have a territory based on the number of adults and the number of pups that need to be fed. The smallest territory on record was held by a pack of six wolves in northeastern Minnesota, which occupied an estimated 33 km2 (13 sq.miles), while the largest was held by an Alaskan pack of ten wolves encompassing 6,272 km2 (2,422 sq.miles). If you want to learn about wolves, start with the studies done on the Isle Royale. Maybe: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/12/relocated-... demonstrating arguments between scientists!

Also: the long: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf

🔸b: Because their owner was neglectful of the dog's needs (affection, attention, comfort, exercise, food & water, grooming, interesting events) - or deliberately cruel to the dog, and thus the dog would rather NOT find its way back, preferring to enjoying freedom or a better home.

🔸c: During its exploration the dog gets captured or killed.

🐩🐕‍🦺#2: "Why can't they find their way home?

🔹a: They have found a better home.

🔹b: They have been killed.

🔹c: While exploring they didn't periodically stop to scent-mark a pillar or post with their urine, so don't have a "roadmap" to follow back.

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

they might not have a good sense of direction

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Dogs don't pack a suitcase and run away.  Dogs get loose and can't find their way back.  They venture too far.  They are confused by noises and smells.

What else do you think?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.