How do you cope living with noisy neighbours around you?

I’m in no position to move from my council flat, I have lived here 15 years now, it’s on a small council estate.... and there are many noisy rowdy young neighbours living around me, when all I want is peace and quiet?

I’m a male in my forties without any relationships except my elderly parents who live far away, I also have mental problems and manage type 2 diabetes.

The noise in the street and in my apartment block drives me mad and puts me on a nervous edge....loud cars speeding off and revving their engines loudly....neighbours playing loud rap music in the late evening, neighbours shouting out loud across the streets at each other....

I wish I could move to a quiet village in the country but I can’t I’m afraid, so I’m stuck here,....

Is there anything I can do to combat this situation as one man who is vulnerable on my own?

• car253
    Favorite Answer

There are many solutions to noise problems.  I consider myself a noise expert.

Stores sell curtains that reduce noise.  Costco in my area is selling them pretty cheap. Look for black out curtains with noise reduction.   The best thing you can do if you can afford it is to put in sound proof windows.  Triple pane windows or sound proof.   Moving is not an option for many. 

And, going after bad neighbors does not always work.   You can try your government authorities.   And, try your local police department to get them to cite those loud illegal modified mufflers on the cars and motorcycles. 

Here is a link for information.   I am sure you would find cheaper ones if you shop around.   https://www.moondreamwebstore.com/soundproof-curta...

Play loud pornography and vulgar music. Also set off your burglar alarm at random hours of the night.

• F

Line your walls with bookcases or bookshelf’s and then fill them with any old books from charity shops . They may give you them free if you explain and they have ones no one has bought for years.

I suffered for years in the 1980s going into work and lack of sleep and affected by bright lights.It was psychological stressful to me.

Soundproofing, ear plugs and talking to your doctor about anti-anxiety medication are what you need to look into. Especially since you have diabetes--stress can make it so much worse. Noise is a big problem in some areas--but your noise sounds like 'normal' level noise, not excessive noise. Yes, it's excessive to YOU--because you are not healthy completely. Moving wouldn't help much--noise is everywhere, just in different ways. Definitely discuss this with your doctor. I wish you luck. 

• car253
      1 month agoReport

It doesn't matter if your healthy or not.  Noise is noise.   It bothers 99% of people.

You call that noisy?  How about jet airplanes taking off and landing because you are in line with the air strip?

.   You get used to it.   I don't hear them anymore(and it is more obvious when they are not flying because of the virus.)  

. The silence is deafening.

Diabetes has nothing to do with the noisy neighbor.   You could go down to city hall and ask about their noise bylaw.  They will pull up some document that says that noise can NOT be excessive after 10pm and can't start until 7AM (or something like that) Then you have a policeable issue.  They will issue a warning before they come in with gun blazing and doing major NECK STOMPING.

You are in a noisy neighborhood.  That is why the rent is so cheap.  It is where you are at. But the bylaws apply to your area as well.

• Ludwig

The root of your problems is your mental state, not living near other people.   The 'countryside' is not quiet, it is an industrial area where people use tractors and keep animals.   Talk to your doctors about your problems and your medication.

why not go and talk to social services ..if no help try the enviromental health ..both are there to help people like you

• Barry

Have you not got double glazing? These windows cut out most extraneous noise. If not, ask for their installation. The best alternative is to overcome your fear of change and ask for a move to a peaceful area. Social Services should be able to talk you through it and assist you with the move. The alternative is that you are stuck with the noise issue.

• Edwena

Sorry to say, but the best thing to do is tell yourself to get used to the noise.  Think of someone who lives near an airport and jet airplanes fly overhead.  One time I was at a restaurant near the end of JFK airport in NYC and a jet airliner flew overhead about 1 per minute.   The locals paid no attention to it, but it was so distracting to me that we left.  So, you should be able to adapt.   At the same time take some action to move someplace else.  Eventually, you will.

• car253
      1 month agoReport

Rude to say Get used to it.