Ares asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 4 weeks ago

Did Achilles go to the underworld?

Favorite Answer

Yes. "So we stood, exchanging words of sadness, grieving and shedding tears. And now the spirit of Achilles son of Peleus appeared, and the spirits of Patroclus and peerless Antilochus, and Ajax who for beauty and stature was supreme among the Danaans, save only for Peleus’ flawless son. And the ghost of swift-footed Achilles, grandson of Aeacus, knew me, and spoke through the tears: “Odysseus of many resources, scion of Zeus, son of Laertes, what could your resolute mind devise that exceeds this: to dare to descend to Hades, where live the heedless dead, the disembodied ghosts of men?”  So he spoke, and I replied: “Achilles, son of Peleus, greatest of Achaean warriors, I came to find Teiresias, to see if he would show me the way to reach rocky Ithaca. I have not yet touched Achaea, not set foot in my own land, but have suffered endless troubles, yet no man has been more blessed than you, Achilles, nor will be in time to come, since we Argives considered you a god while you lived, and now you rule, a power, among the un-living. Do not grieve, then, Achilles, at your death.” These words he answered, swiftly: “Glorious Odysseus: don’t try to reconcile me to my dying. I’d rather serve as another man’s labourer, as a poor peasant without land, and be alive on Earth, than be lord of all the lifeless dead."

Pretty sure those are both myths but according to myth, Achilles married Medea in life, so that after both their deaths they were united in the Elysian Fields of Hades.

Oh, no. No, he didn't. He was offered a place, but he refused as he didn't agree with the terms & conditions. He eventually decided to just wait and see if a better religion with a more acceptable set of T & C's came along; he's still waiting, apparently. Hope this helped.