Anonymous

Do family doctors make $200k  straight out of med school?

I was looking up family doctor salaries and I read that they usually make on average $220k. Is that salary straight out of med school? Or for those doctors with established careers?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No they don't make that much straight out of med school. The average starting salary is about half that. Less in poorer, rural areas, more in large cities. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I don’t think so . I know many people think all doctors are the same but it’s like any other job, you start at a lower level and work up.

Of course some one newly qualified won’t earn the same as someone with 10+ years experience.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Of course not. They have to do a residency in family medicine first. They're not getting paid $200,000 a year for that.  And it will take years for them to get up to that level even after the residency.

• 1 month ago

That's for established doctors with an average of 10 yrs experience. New MDs in their first year of residency (post-MD clinical training) typically start in the $40k-50k range.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No. First of all, after medical school graduation, a doctor has to be a resident for a t least a couple of years -- and they won't be making nearly that much.

As a primary care/family doctor in private practice, you get paid based on the number of patients you see, and how much you get paid either by the patients and or their insurance company, minus your own costs of renting office space, paying employees, supplies and equipment, not to mention malpractice insurance.  If you join an existing practice, they partners will negative some kind of salary or percentage -- it will not be $200K.

Over time, with a thriving practice, a family doctor could earn $200K, but not in the begining.

• 1 month ago

Usually no. Residencies can last 6 years or longer. My best friend and her husband are both M.D.s They took 6 years to pay off their medical school loans while raising 2 sons and taking care of her mother who had cancer. They graduated from medical school in 1983. They are no longer in private practice since 2004. 

• 1 month ago

The quickie answer is , no. YOu have to do a 3 year residency first. Then FP income is dependent on your billables. If you join an established group, what you negotiate and bring in to the group will determine income. If you go into private practice, it will depend on how you get patients and how many and what you can bill minus all your expenses. There is no pat answer for this,

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Established careers. There is often internship and residency at hospitals, government jobs that pay less with more benefits, and new hiring at far lower pay. It varies urban versus rural, and which area and state. Family medicine is among lower paid. Graduating medical school is not yet a license to practice medicine, as also having to pass the medical boards and be licensed.

https://www.kaptest.com/study/mcat/doctor-salaries...

Specialties take longer to complete.

Undergraduate degree, Medical school, United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE), Residency, Board certifications, State licensing.

The average medical resident is earning $61,200 annually.

Average starting salary after state licensed is about $178K/year.

https://www.theapprenticedoctor.com/the-process-of...

Typical is 12 years or so after completing High School depending upon the specialty field.

My brother-in-law is an anesthesiologist senior partner in a firm working with about a dozen hospitals. It is often outsourced from the hospitals, and they set up a pain care center as part of their service. One niece is a family practice doctor considering homeopathic specialty, and one nephew is a dentist. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Average covers everyone from new doctors to ones in specialties with many years of experience.  Does that give you a clue?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.