Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 5 months ago

Has pop gotten worse over the last 20 years?

Pop had a lot more to offer in the 80’s and 90’s. I grew up in the 80’s. It was so much more upbeat and enjoyable. Even the early 2000’s pop wasn’t THAT bad. Ever since 2008 it’s been horseshit. I think we crossed a point of no return. The music of today won’t ever get much better. What do you think of todays music

It was much better before the turn of the century.Now I wouldn't even call it music,just a horrible noise sung by people who cannot sing.

• Andy

There's a lot of dross around, but that's true of just about every generation of pop music. Thankfully there are still true artists making great music and performing their own material, rather than churning out the same assembly-line rubbish that seems to fill the airwaves. 

I haven't really paid attention to pop since around 1981.  That's when I was turned to the dark side, also known as rock.

But I think you're right.  While I'm not a fan of the stuff, there's no escaping teenie-pop when you go out into the world.  I've heard the hits such as Cotton Eye Joe, Barbie Girl, Somebody I Used To Know, Hit Me Baby One More Time, and some ghastly disease named Kanye something, and it all makes me glad I have rock & roll.

If you go to a big party and hear something 30 or 40 years old from artists like AC/DC, Springsteen, Hendrix or Motley, you'll hear people howl in approval and demands to crank the volume.  Even ten years from now, you'll never see that happen if you play something by Pusha T or The Beebz.

"Has pop gotten worse over the last 20 years?"

Does a bear $h1+ in the woods?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Has Star Wars been commercialized?

Does Clint Eastwood have only one facial expression?

(That would be a 'yes', in case we're not clear. LOL)

Mostly garbage, with a few rare bright spots....

Taylor Swift briefly managed some decent stuff, then joined the other celeb muppets pushing liberal "woke" BS I don't have the time or patience for.

https://youtu.be/p1Zt47V3pPw

Youtube thumbnail

?t=97

Liam Gallagher is back and on form with albums in 2017 + 2019, as well as an acoustic album at the start of this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqpUkTmDpIM

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6JZ2R31uQ8

Youtube thumbnail

It seems to be. When Rolling Stone magazine ranked the best albums of all time.  Most of them came from the 60s and 70s. There were fewer in the 80s and even fewer in the 90s. The last 20 years have even fewer.  Little wonder bands and solo artists from the 60s and 70s are still performing to large audiences.

You ask 2 questions. 

Has pop gotten worse over the last 20 years? No, it's sucked for much longer.

What do you think of todays music? Love it! Pop is such a mere fraction of what's  available that I never have to be sickened by it ever again. 

I love some of today's music. A large amount of my favorite music comes from the past 20 years. Has pop gotten worse? In my opinion, sort of no. There might be worse things that have gained attention (comparing past 12 years to the 80s and 90s), but there are also better things out there. We just have a much larger selection available at our fingertips.

Would you like help finding pop since 2008 that you like? Let me know specific bands, singers, and/or songs that you like, and I will try to help.