Does an IQ score represent current knowledge or potential for learning?

The "IQ" score is a very inexact measure of what they are trying to find.

They are trying to find "intelligence". Which is some measure of thinking ability.  They do it through tests and puzzles but people can practice tests and puzzles and get a higher score without increasing their intelligence at all.

My dog has a level of intelligence but she cannot do puzzles.  So the score given would be way beneath her actual intelligence.

Certainly it has zero to do with knowledge. It is mainly to do with adaptability.  The ability to find a solution to a new problem.  Synthesizing it from a combination of what is already known and a logical set of deductions.

So again to look at my dog.  She is outside and it is frosty.  Her mat was too low to the ground for the sun to hit at first.  She stood up on the mat with her legs on the window sill to maximize the exposure to the morning sun.

The problem was "how do I get warm".  The knowledge was " the sun warms me" the specific issue is "how can I get as much of myself into the sun" and the deduction was "stretch out to maximize surface area and get as high as possible while remaining perpendicular to the rays of the sun". 

A good physics student MIGHT have come to the same conclusion.

I give the example to show how intelligence exists but we are not able to measure it. So IQ tests are completely flawed and should not be relied upon.

It is like trying to measure the length of something using a calibrated rubber band.

• Tom

A little of BOTH as There are TWO aspects of INTELLEGENCE--1)-HOW MUCH Stuff you KNOW and  2)your ability to work with the stuff you know.---   IQ is not a perfect measurement of our minds, but it DOES give us a general idea of our capabilities and abilities. and gives it a numeric rating.

Both                                 .

• Who

neither

it asks questions that do not require "knowledge" and compares the answers you give to answers given by people the same age as you and gives the result as a ratioProblem is1) if you are say 5 and give the answers a 6 year old would give then your IQ would be 120 BUT if you were say 30  you would have to give answers a 36 year old would giveie the younger you are makes it easier to get a high IQ result2) ITs assumed there is only 1 "correct" answer to the question and people your age would give the same number of "correct" ones, So NOBODY asks WHY you gave the answer you did. .ie - if you were HIGHLY intelligent its possible YOU have thought of another equally valid  answer  , but nobody would ever know what it was cos nobody asks you, and you would get a lower IQ than you should

• Dixon

Neither. It represents "intelligence", essentially logical pattern matching.

Intelligence Quotient is meant to measure intelligence.

Intelligence has been defined in many ways: the capacity for logic, understanding, self-awareness, learning, emotional knowledge, reasoning, planning, creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving and it's not only exclusive to humans.   Intelligence is both an acquired social skill and genetic prowess.

So the age old nurture vs. nature debate rears its paradoxical head.

IQ is a some what useless base line. Society is not a vacuum much less a level plain field, if your brain is specially wired for language learning but you were raised in a mono cultural, monolingual society and you are tested as an adult and it turns out that you are specially gifted for language learning...

Such test results would be good but useless information.  As the older a person is, the harder it is to acquire a second language.

Another more poignant example...of the useless of Intelligence Quotient.

How good are Americans assessing personal character when it comes to choosing a life partner?  So far it has been an epic failure,  if one in two marriages ends in divorce, then we are below average when it comes to being smart about one of the most important  if not the most important choice in our lives. How about second or third marriages?  The statistics are even worse....Second marriages have a 65 percent failure rate and third marriages as high as 75 percent. One would think that with experience we'd learn...

Why is marriage failure a this a telling example of the uselessness of Intelligence Quotient? because, people from all walks of life fail at marriage.  What are the correlations between Intelligence Quotient and marriage?  It turns out that even the smartest people are dumb when it comes to choosing a partner.   Are we not smart enough to crack the marriage code?

It's not that we are dumb,we simply are not raised to be critical -scientific- about the character of a person. Our ears blind our eyes, Our eyes blind our brains...we believe what we want to believe.

Our popular knowledge about malignant personal traits is almost null, except for Narcissism, narcissism has  come to infamy and has enjoyed a celebrity status in our recent culture. And this is a good development.   Our parents for the most part have been  clueless and useless in this endeavor.. our society has a very poor intelligence quotient about sustaining vibrant long committed relationships or marriage...

Source(s): Anthropology, Sexuality and Psychology...

IQ is supposed to represent intelligence. Intelligence is separate from knowledge or ability to learn. You can have all the knowledge in the world and not the intelligence to use it. Essentially, intelligence is the ability to see implications, combinations and permutations of knowledge. Given a new piece of information an average person can give you one or two new consequences to consider. A genius will be able to see many more.

• Hoarseman4 weeks agoReport

I've never "known" a genius that didn't have a lot of knowledge too

• Marduk

Potential for reasoning.   I don't think it means current knowledge.  Potential for learning is a foggy subject.  I have a 126 IQ and I HATED HATED HATED SCHOOL!   I got 13 F's in 8th grade.  I could read at 800 words per minute with an 80% comprehension, but I HATED HATED HATED SCHOOL!  So I don't know what to tell you there.  I flunked college too and joined the military.   After the military, I got a job and went to community college and graduated with a 3.75GPA.  The thing was, it became important to me to learn to be a programmer.  When the plant closed, I got a better job.  I would tell you this, I am smart, but I am LAZY!  I walk a fine line between the two. 

• Scott

Both in practice.