Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

My dog won't eat her food unless it's on the floor or she's being spoon fed or unless she's eating out of my hand. Why is this?

She will barely touch it if it's in her bowl.

Yeah I do spoil her honestly, but I do try to get her to eat on her own. Today, she sniffed her food in her bowl and walked away. Then she went outside and started eating grass!! So I panicked and started spoon feeding her the food. THEN she ate it all up. If I don't do something special to get her to eat her food, she won't eat her food. Instead, she eats grass and dirt. Maybe it's a medical problem? I'll take her to the vet.

• Amber

Smart dog...she's trained you well. It's because you'll do it. Leave the food down in her bowl. She will e

at it eventually. 

She trained you to hand feed her or spoon feed her or who knows what else.

Smart dog and foolish owner.

She is training you very well.  She has taught you to hand feed her.  So stop all the special treatment.  Get her on a good brand of hard kibble & drop any canned food.  Put the food where she knows where it is & leave it be.  A dog will not starve itself if there is food available.  You need to start training her so she won't be training you.  You have a spoiled dog & you did that all by yourself.

• Maxi

Because you have pandered to your dogs training.... no healthy dog will starve, your dog has meal times, you provide its meal and if your dog doesn't eat it or walks away you lift the meal and do not offer it until the next meal time, no treats, nothing inbetween and you do the same thing again..... depends on how well your dog has trained you will depend on when it realises you will no longer spoon/hand feed or pander to it but it can take a couple of days before you call, feed and it eats it........... the feeding problem is what you have created

Because the dog is training  you, not he other way around... A healthy dog will not starve itself to death.

Have you tried different bowls?

Metal bowls are easy to clean but some dogs are worried by reflections.

Some bowls are too deep or too narrow etc