When the Bible says that "Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures...", what scriptures would those be, exactly?

I quote from 1 Corinthians 15:3

As the writer of that verse also wrote many of the other verses some answers have quoted from the N.T., I'm really looking for the scriptures that already existed when Paul wrote. Prophetic ones in the O.T. foretelling Messiah coming to die for sins. I should have made that clear at the start - sorry!

Lots of very good, scriptural answers given, so thank you to every one providing them. I've chosen as best answer one that majors on the OT passage in Isaiah 53.

Alas, the Anonymous answer I went to vote for (beginning Isaiah 53 is a stellar example), must have me blocked, for I cannot give it BA! I will have to choose another…

• TeeM
    Favorite Answer

Well, there is the context of Paul's writings.

(1 Corinthians 15:22-25) 22 For just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each one in his own proper order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who belong to the Christ during his presence. 24 Next, the end, when he hands over the Kingdom to his God and Father, when he has brought to nothing all government and all authority and power. 25 For he must rule as king until God has put all enemies under his feet.

In the Hebrew Scriptures we find:

(Daniel 9:24-26) 24 “There are 70 weeks that have been determined for your people and your holy city, in order to terminate the transgression, to finish off sin, to make atonement for error, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up the vision and the prophecy, and to anoint the Holy of Holies. 25 You should know and understand that from the issuing of the word to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem until Mes·siʹah the Leader, there will be 7 weeks, also 62 weeks. She will be restored and rebuilt, with a public square and moat, but in times of distress. 26 “And after the 62 weeks, Mes·siʹah will be cut off, with nothing for himself.. . .

Paul also tells us:

(Romans 15:1-6) 15 We, though, who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those not strong, and not to be pleasing ourselves. 2 Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. 3 For even the Christ did not please himself, but just as it is written: “The reproaches of those reproaching you have fallen upon me.” 4 For all the things that were written beforehand were written for our instruction, so that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. 5 Now may the God who supplies endurance and comfort grant you to have among yourselves the same mental attitude that Christ Jesus had, 6 so that unitedly you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Here he is quoting from (Psalm 69:9)  9 Zeal for your house has consumed me, And the reproaches of those reproaching you have fallen upon me.

Which is in harmony with:

(Isaiah 53:3)  3 He was despised and was avoided by men, A man who was meant for pains and was familiar with sickness. It was as if his face were hidden from us. He was despised, and we held him as of no account.

About this one, Isaiah went on to say:

4 Truly he himself carried our sicknesses,

And he bore our pains.

But we considered him as plagued, stricken by God and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgression;

He was crushed for our errors.

He bore the punishment for our peace,

And because of his wounds we were healed.

Concluding with:

12 For that reason I will assign him a portion among the many,

And he will apportion the spoil with the mighty,

Because he poured out his life even to death

And was counted among the transgressors;

He carried the sin of many people,

This reminds us of Hebrews chapter 1,

Where we are told, his God sends Jesus, his Firstborn, his image into the world who became greater than the angels, in that his God anointed him and gave him a better name.

.

Here is my scriptures!

1 John 2:2

2 And he is a propitiatory sacrifice*a for our sins,b yet not for ours only but also for the whole world’s.

Romans 5:19

19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man many were made sinners,a so also through the obedience of the one person many will be made righteous.

Romans 6:23

23 For the wages sin pays is death,a but the gift God gives is everlasting lifeb by Christ Jesus our Lord.

Here is an article you can read to find more scriptures.  https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/library/r1/lp-e/all-publ...  The Resurrection of Jesus Did It Really Happen?

w13 3/1 p. 3

Says the Bible. Romans 5:18, 19  “God recommends his own love to us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8 Jesus Christ, born as a perfect and sinless man, the equivalent of the original Adam before that one sinned, was in a position to carry away the sins of mankind. Isaiah 53:12; John 1:14; 1 Peter 2:24 By being put to death on a torture stake as though a criminal, Jesus released mankind from bondage to sin and death. “For, indeed,” explained Paul to the Christians in Rome, “Christ, while we were yet weak, died for ungodly men at the appointed time.  Just as sin ruled as king with death, likewise also undeserved kindness might rule as king through righteousness with everlasting life in view through Jesus Christ our Lord.”​ Romans 5:6, 21.

Source(s): jw.org

1 Peter 3:18

"For Christ died once for all time for sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, in order to lead you to God. He was put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit."Romans 5:8"But God recommends his own love to us in that, while we were yet  sinners, Christ died for us."John 3:16"For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life."

• To see it written by you, I wonder! You know very well that the Lord Jesus died for all sinners, and He gave eternal life to all those who repent and go to Him with repentance, to have eternal life.  I know the biblical passage of 1 Corinthians, but I add one that is complete in all its meaning! Romans 5.

5 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we[a] have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we[b] boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we[c] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 11 Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned—

13 To be sure, sin was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not charged against anyone’s account where there is no law. 14 Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who is a pattern of the one to come.

15 But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! 16 Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. 17 For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!

18 Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. 19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

20 The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, 21 so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

GOD did not desire animal blood; GOD does not desire human blood: Both are barbaric traditions.

SONS of GOD don't die: Christ is the Son of GOD; Jesus is the son of MAN. 

Paul was actually converted to Christ after Jesus Christ's crucifixion (in the New Testament) - so he will only have known the Old Testament LAW of the Jews - the Jewish Talmud I think it was called; also the Torah; because Paul actually grew up as a Jew and in the strict sect of the Pharisees who were LEADERS/teachers of the strict Jewish law to the people.  Paul was taught by a man named Gamaliel - a Roman I think, so those are the scriptures Paul would have been referring to, the first five books of Moses, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy; and I am sure he would have been taught David's Psalms such as 16: 10 & 11 also, and probably most of the major & minor prophets, such as Isaiah, Jeremiah, Habakkuk, etc.

Isaiah chapter 53.

Isa 53 is a stellar example.

The four Gospels are replete with them, as well as the OT Law, Psalms and prophets.

Too numerous to list 

Jesus speaking...

Luke 24:44 KJV — And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

John 5:46 KJV — For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.

• IOM

None. It's just a wilfully wrong, false "interpretation" of a number of Jewish scriptures, especially Yeshayahu ("Isaiah").