Another car had their headlights off and they were in my lane headed right at my car head on. They just missed my car. Who was at fault?

I saw them coming and I was like, "Oh god! I can't believe this." I stopped my car and flashed my brights as a warning. They just missed my car. There wasn't really a shoulder on the road i could pull off on. I didn't hear anything hit. I was waiting for the impact and was scared. I stopped my car so the impact wouldn't be as hard. My heart is pounding. They must've missed my car by an inch. It was just a narrow two lane road. Who would drive with their headlights off in someone else's lane and almost cause a head on collision? A drunk driver?

Who was or would be at fault?  They were or would be for being in your lane.  Whether they headlights were on or off may be another factor depending on the time of day and local laws.

• Edna

Whether or not a car's headlights were burning, if a car was coming toward me in my lane and there was no shoulder for me to pull on to, I certainly wouldn't stop - I would head for the ditch. Anything to avoid a head-on collision. 

Drunks tend to follow the line.  Going into your lane is WAY OFF THE LINE.  Probably someone who regularly uses that road so has the corners memorized.  Sometimes I travel at dusk and forget to turn on the headlights because I can see the road well enough.  Not normal to see a car on the road.  I use both lanes to make the drive straighter.

Sorry mate. We drive on the other side of the road back in my home country of Transylvania.

BATMAN...

Yes.

I think that a drunk driver is a good guess.

Or a tired driver.

Or somebody who shouldnt have been driving.

If they were in your lane, thennthey were at fault.  But don't hold your ground because you're in the right place.

Dive out of the way to safety if possible!

There is nothing good about being right and crashed into.

Well if you were in teh correct lane then clearly they were at fault. It doesn't matter if their headlights were on or not. The person in the improper lane is always at fault for a head-on collusion. 

• Erik

Obviously the other driver was at fault.

You are obviously.

• Anton

hmmm...  

You pulled over and stopped, the other gentleman was moving.

He was at fault for missing you.

You ask "who was at fault?"  As they were in the wrong lane, headlights off, and you were stopped, you can safely assume that they were in the wrong.  But that will not help on your epitath.

.

I had a similar experience one night.  The person had their headlights on, but obviously did not see a thing.  They were not coming fast, but they were coming steadily.  We ended up driving into the ditch to avoid the crash.  He kept going .  Drunk ? maybe.

Not fast enough to be suicidal.  Maybe had a heart attach and was driving on on instinct ..or already dead.