Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 4 weeks ago

Is a silver iron alloy bullet possible?

My main character hunts monsters like werewolves and changelings. I would like for him to use silver iron alloy bullets. Is it possible to combine these metals?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Who knows, but since your already dealing in otherworldly concepts. Wouldn't this idea be left to the Game Master/ DM that's running this scenarios?

Is there already something that works at least already? Maybe, you can use such an idea to your favor? Home-brew?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130...

Which says:

"With the aid of powder metallurgy, iron‐silver alloys at the iron‐rich end were prepared. Ohmic resistance measurements show that silver alloys with iron. The maximum amount of silver found alloyed with iron was between 0.5 and 1 per cent silver. Further evidence that silver does alloy with iron is shown by the fact that the ferrite grains of a 50 Fe—50 Ag alloy are stained. This is similar to the observation made in the case of the copper‐iron alloys. Corrosion studies of iron‐ silver alloys showed that small amounts of silver, up to about 1 per cent, improved the resistance of iron to the corrosive action of 10 per cent hydrochloric acid and 30 per cent acetic acid. Iron containing small percentages of silver behaves very similarly to iron containing small percentages of copper."

In other words, ALOT of iron and a little bit of silver.  I would argue that this would not seem to fit well with werewolf mythology, though.  I think the audience would consider it a cheat.

• 4 weeks ago

It wouldn't work. It has to be pure silver.

• 4 weeks ago

Maybe something more exotic like iridium.

The problem with steel bullets is that it wears out the rifling. To counter this a bullet uses a softer metal for contact with the rifling in most cases copper. Applying this to a iron silver bullet, why not a iron cored silver jacketed bullet.

Don't use iridium it is too brittle and hard.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Why not. It’s an imaginary world. You’re talking about werewolves and you’re worried about realism. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.