Anonymous

My dad wants me to get a Bachelor's Degree but my PD only requires an Associate's Degree. Why should I bother wasting time?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Getting a Bachelor's Degree will put you on the same level of preference with veterans, so any veteran or candidate with a Bachelor's Degree or higher has a much higher chance of being hired than you. Get a Bachelor's, an Associate's will make it harder to be hired. 

• DCM5150
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

and promoted

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

You'll get more lifetime earning power with a bachelor's degree.  

• 1 month ago

There are classes available to obtain a Bachelor's Degree. I have a friend who was a police officer and he obtained his degree  through the police dept. and retired a Lt. 

• H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's up to you. How badly do you want to work in the police department? Keep in mind that there is a competition and those with higher degrees will pulverize you in the market. Only go get a degree if you want to get it. If you go because your parents told you so then you're gonna do poorly in school because you don't have that motivation to get you going.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If you already have an Associates degree and are already on the police force, there is no immediate reason to get a 4 year degree.  By the wording of your message, however, I'm assuming you are a teen having a debate with his father.  In that instance, your primary goal needs to be to become a police officer, rather than an officer only on one specificl force.  Once you start job hunting, you will need to apply to a number of law enforcement agencies, and you will need to meet the requirements for many departments in order to have the best chance of being hired.

• 1 month ago

What vocational/occupational training program are you considering? What career interests/goals do you have? An associate's degree really only prepares you to transfer into a 4-yr bachelor's degree program, if you do well enough in community college to complete general education requirements. An academic associate's degree is not worth much on the job market. So what do you want?

• 1 month ago

You won't be a cop for the rest of your life (particularly if you find that you don't actually like the job). A pension only goes so far. You will have more job opportunities with a B.A. degree. and it's much harder to earn that B.A. degree as you get older (because you don't learn as easily). But if you hate school, get the associates degree and take your chances later. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

With that attitude, you'll do well in fast food.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.