Kevin asked in SportsBaseball · 1 month ago

Will Mike Trout remain a loyal Angel or will he eventually seek a more competitive team?!?

It's a business. There is.no such thing as loyalty.

Call me a cynic, but I honestly think some of the tears he shed at the press conference announcing his mega contract came as he realized he might never play for a contending team....let alone a championship-caliber one...

Players are under tremendous pressure by their agents and the Players' Union to demand and accept the highest-dollar contracts regardless of their career goals.  Years ago Alex Rodriguez offered to restructure his contract to facilitate a trade from the struggling Rangers to the contending Red Sox...he was roundly denounced by the union for "giving money back to the owners" and his desire to play for a good team for less money was seen as "selfish."

My guess is that if the Angels don't put a good team around him in the next 5 years, an older and less-influenced-by-peer-pressure Trout will find a way to get himself dealt to a big-spending club like the Yankees.

Unless he has personal advantage, he will follow the money as long as he is able.