What's a decent cheap CPU compatible with this GPU?

I have a used GTX 970 Palit Jetstream and I was wondering if any of you could recommend a decent cheap CPU that would be compatible in a build with this GPU.

The use of this PC will be for gaming mainly so any recommendations based on this are greatly appreciated. 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 hours ago

How cheap are you talking? If you're buying new a Ryzen 5 1600AF (if you can find one at MSRP) is going to be the best bang for the buck.  If you're buying used something like an i5-7600/6600 would be fine. The motherboard and RAM are additional expenses as well. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It would help to know if you already have a motherboard, because your motherboard is only compatible with a certain range of CPU's. For example, if you have a Intel socket 1150 motherboard then the motherboard would only be compatible with 4th Generation Intel processors like the Core i5-4690 or Core i7-4770

Well you could get the GTX 970 to work in an old socket 775 Core 2 Duo system if you wanted to. Although your framerates would be shot because modern games need more from the CPU. What matters the most is if the power supply can support the GPU. A GTX 970 needs a 500w or greater power supply with two 6-pin PCI-E power connectors.

If you're building with new parts, you haven't got a motherboard or RAM yet, and you want something cheap then look at a Ryzen CPU. CPU's like the Ryzen 5 1600, Ryzen  5 2600, Ryzen 5 3600, and the new 4-core/8-thread Ryzen 3 3300x are good processors for gaming. Older Ryzen processors like the Ryzen 3 2300g, Ryzen 3 1200, and even the Ryzen 3 3200g are 4c/4t processors that are still decent at gaming but they're beginning to get long in the tooth.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.