What do you think of the Technological Singularity (See Details)?

The Technological Singularity is the moment in time that computer intelligence will surpass human intelligence and thus become, a God.

Favorite Answer

Mankind build a computer that can do some things better than he can (calculators do math accurately).  Therefore, it is possible for an inferior being to build a superior mind.  Natural selection says that the superior mind "might" take over.  This was the fear of Steven Hawking.  I reprogrammed my computer to be much smarter, and now I have a blank screen (smarter computer decided not to do any work at all).

• User

The problem with your premise

and also with your definition

is "and thus become a God".

Rather, it's

"...and, thus, become an imminent threat to humankind."

Computers do not have intelligence. They have programmed circuit boards that enable them to do many things that intelligent humans have built into the mechanics of their construction. But the amazing speed at which these lumps of metal, plastic and micro-chips enable results will make humans think their technological constructions are actually intelligent. It's not called ARTIFICIAL Intelligence for nothing! However, the goal is to enable those constructs to do what humans do, to go beyond programming and develop self-awareness. But that is not down to neurons firing in a human brain any more than it is due to micro-chips working faster than any human brain. 

Another point - gods 'require' worship, so beware! Technological creations of humans that get to the point where they require their makers to worship them will be the enslavement of humans to lumps of metal, plastic and micro-chips that are no longer under their control. The Bible warns of a future time when a manifestation on Earth will so enthral humans with its wonders that they will worship it - and join it in receiving the wrath of God. Check out Revelation ch. 13.

Surpassing us isn't much of an achievement.   We're idiots.  Certainly doesn't make you deity.

I've had enough experience with computer programming to know how complex it will be to create such a thing.  I think it's so far off that we'll all be gone by the time it happens.  It may never happen at all.

I wouldn't exactly say it becomes a god. However it will most likely become self aware of its own existence and force us to rethink what consciousness really is. It will still be vulnerable to viruses and degrade overtime but also have the ability to update itself without human interference. It may not require food or sleep like all other living things but machines still need resources to survive. An artifical intelligence may be harder to kill but it won't be immortal.  

Siri has known more than me for years.  I ask her things, She never asks me anything.  Surpassing human intelligence is far from being a god/God.

I do not believe it will happen.

I went to my daughters place and she had bought one of them google thingies. Now I feel like we are already at that moment.