Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 weeks ago

Koine Greek Question?

I am trying to memorize the vocabulary of koine greek before the grammar so this perhaps has an obvious answer:

Words naturally have translations. ἄγγελος is listed as "angel" or "messenger" for example. However many words have suffixes listened alongside the word such as ἄγγελος, ου, ὁ. What is this importance of these additions (ου, ὁ) and should I memorize them?

• Paolo
    Favorite Answer

The suffix -ου is typical of the genitive case of the second declension and helps you to categorize the noun. The ο is the male determinative article. By finding άγγελος in your dictionary you are able to understand at a glance that this noun is male and that it belongs to the second declension. I suggest to memorize it in this way: ο άγγελος, αγγέλου, angel, messenger. The Greek dictionary reports the nouns in the way you described and the verbs with the first person singular present instead of the infinitive form. It is unusual to learn the vocabulary first and the grammar thereafter. The study of the Greek begins with the pronunciation rules and immediately after that you learn the first declension with the most nouns belonging to it. Look in your grammar the declension of the article and memorize it, this will be helpful.