OnlyTheTruth asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

My dog has had UTI twice in the last 6 weeks. Why?

I have a 4 year old red nose Pitbull who was treated for UTI until 2 weeks later it reappeared again.

YES, I administered the entire treatment at the exact specified times until the antibiotics were gone. I hate to see her in discomfort... is there something happening Im not aware of? Are there other things I can be doing to avoid this recycling infection?

She's currently on 500mg Amoxicillin twice a day for 14 days.

Today is the second day of treatment: she still urinates frequently but seems like shes NOT in as much discomfort as yesterday. She's eating better also today. 

Clearly the Amox. isn't doing the job.   It is, as said, what vets start off prescribing but it doesn't always work.  Or she may need a longer course.   Or this may not be a simple UTI.    Bladder stones will present with similar symptoms.

As suggested, again, crystals should have shown up in the urinalysis if there.

Vets always given Amoxicillian as the first & cheapest course of treatment, but if the UTI is recurrent, it may never have been properly treated & only "knocked back".  

Amoxi does not always work (there is more than one type of bacteria) & as you know more & more bacteria are resistant to antibiotics.  So, you need to get a URINE culture done (via needle collection from a FULL bladder dog) if this happens again (INSIST this be done) and then the dog can be treated via the RIGHT antibiotic, instead of a GUESS.... to fully kill the infection.

The other 2 possibilities are; bladder crystals - but they should have SHOWED up in the urine sample collection already taken or kidney and/or bladder stones - whose IRRITATION inside the body can cause UTI.  If vet thinks this is the issue - you need an ultrasound.

If these are STRUVITE stones, they can be treated by getting the dog OFF any grains because they are inflammatory and will CAUSE stone formation in some dogs.  (Best to go to home cooked, or RAW diet).  I had a dog with tons of stones in BOTH locations and after the initial treatment for the UTI, changed the diet per vet's instructions - and NEVER saw another issue, despite us leaving the stones in place.

Have they tested for crystals in the urine? My girls were getting constant utis, and it turned out they both formed crystals in their bladders, causing utis and even an emergency vet trip because of a blockage. They are now on special food and heavy restrictions on what treats they can have to prevent this.

• I bring that up at the next vet visit.

• Maxi

The bladder acts as a storage area for urine once it's been made by the kidneys. Although the bladder is sterile and free of bacteria, the external genital area contains a large amount of germs. If these bacteria gain entry into the bladder, and begin to grow, an infection can occur, resulting in the symptoms of a UTI.

Most dogs get simple UTIs, which develop once and can be treated easily with a short course of antibiotics. But dogs who experience more than three UTIs per year or more than two UTIs in six months are defined as having chronic or recurrent UTIs. If a urine culture was not performed, an inappropriate antibiotic may have been prescribed or the dosage and duration were insufficient to fully clear the UTI..... there are also several underlying medical causes of recurrent UTIs, which your vet is likely to check for such as kidney or bladder stones, cushings , diebetes etc

• Thanks for taking the time to answer. You gave some info to think about.

• Amber

I assume they've tested her urine to ensure she actually does have an infection. I was shocked to discover the exact same symptoms of a UTI are the same a bladder cancer. That's why vets normally insist on testing a urine sample. 

Also, it could be the first infection didn't totally clear up and the bacteria has regrown. So it's best to get another test once the anti-biotics have finished (wait a few days) then provide another urine sample. This way it doesn't give the infection time to get bad again.Sometimes it does take a few courses.My old girl is prone to them. She gets them on a regular bases. One thing I do is ensure I shave the hair around her vagina and anus to ensure poop and urine can't cling to the hair and grow bacteria. Then I rise her down frequently with some fresh water to keep her clean. Boil some water on the stove not in the kettle. Let it cool until luke warm and just sponge her behind down and dry thoroughly. If the infections continue you might want to ultra-sound her bladder. My has polyps which cause her infections.

• Thank you for the great information.