is 200lbs too much weight on the roof of a 2009 sienna?

im planning on putting 4 solar panels up

Favorite Answer

The specs for the base model roof rack on the Sienna states 165 pounds evenly distributed is the load limit.  Honestly, I've put more than that on the roof of several cars I've owned, including our two Camrys.  But I have to ask, what model of solar panels are you using?  The Kyocera model 120 for example weighs 22 pounds, and I don't know how you could get even 4 of them on the roof of a minivan given their size.  I've used dozens of different solar panels here, none of them weigh over 40 pounds. There are some larger higher voltage residential units that weigh 40 to 50 pounds each, but they measure as much as 7 feet long by 3 feet wide.  You could probalby build a rack to hold them on top of a Sienna, not sure what it would look like, and the aerodynamics would be less than optimal.  KC-120 panels are 56 inches long and 26 inches wide, so your entire array might measure 5 X 8 on the roof when you are done, a bit larger than a sheet of plywood if you used 4 of them side by side.  Have you considered amourphous panels?  They are flexible and thin and can even be stuck right to the roofs surface with some kind of adhesive.  I've never used them, but some marine and even car/RV places do.  I don't think they come with 25 year warranties like standard panels do, they are kind of new and don't have a long track record yet. Are you planning on camping, or living in this van, or trying to run it on batteries entirely?  Rudydoo

• Rudydoo
      4 weeks agoReport

Frankly I'd go for it, that rack I linked only covers the back half of the roof.  Build your own, it will certainly hold the weight if it's static, not like a person dancing up there.  Good luck with it.