What is the most common pediatric cancer?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Acute lymphoblastic leukemia is usually considered the most common kind of childhood cancer.  However, the latest stats from CureSearch are from 2018, and brain and central nervous system cancers have edged ahead of leukemias in general by 1%.  As someone who works in pediatric oncology, I can say that my center's stats follow the older statistic with ALL being the most commonly diagnosed, followed by brain & CNS tumors.

Childhood cancer is considered uncommon.  About 1 in every 285 children in the United States will be diagnosed with cancer before the age of 20.  This statistic has gone up slightly over the past decade or so.

I recommend Children's Oncology Group (www.childrensoncologygroup.org), the world's largest childhood cancer research organization, for info on types of childhood cancer.  Their website is a bit outdated and doesn't have the most recent statistical information, but CureSearch (www.curesearch.org), a fundraising and awareness organization that works with COG, has more up to date statistical information.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • LAN
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

None.    Why do you continually post these moronic questions that serve no real purpose?

BTW  How long until you jump on your Arjun account to to answer yourself?

• 1 month ago

No pediatric cancers are very common. 

About 80% of cancers occur in those over the age of 50.

Only about 16/100,000 children are diagnosed each year.

Leukemia is the most prevalent with about 4/100,000 children diagnosed annually.

That is a risk factor of 0.0004%

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.