Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 month ago

What does it mean if my Ketones are high?

What does it mean if my ketones are high but my blood sugar is either a little low or normal? I don’t want to type too much but I was having a lot of worrying symptoms (cold sweats, malaise, weakness- to name a few)- hospital couldn’t find too much wrong except that my ketones are high but my blood sugar was only a little low but still not worrisome low - I ate that day though and now I have been checking my ketones (got strips at A Pharmacy) - and I ate this morning- checked my ketones- three hours later and it was very high - then I ate a bigger meal and a little while later my ketones were low - overall though when I look online it says that ketones are usually that high if you haven’t eaten in 12 hours but mine rapidly goes high after not eating just for a few hours- what can this mean?

Also I have not been diagnosed with diabetes but I am worried because those symptoms happen a lot

Are you normally eating a low carb diet, my friend?  People who eat a low carb diet ... particularly an extremely low carb diet ... produce ketones because fat reserves are 'broken down' to give the fuel that is needed to keep your body functioning.

I have met people who have been on starvation diets ... sometimes not through their own choosing ... that have high levels of ketones present.

In diabetes, this can very quickly lead to a very dangerous situation.  In type 1 diabetes the sufferer can develop diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), and in type 2 diabetes the sufferer can develop hyperglycemic hyperosmolor non-ketotic syndrome (HHNS) [also called Hyperglycaemic Hyperosmolar Non-Ketotic Syndrome (HHNKS) if you live in the UK].  Both of these conditions warrant being admitted to hospital for emergency medical attention as the sufferer could die without receiving treatment.

If you have a low carb diet then your body produces ketones to make up for the lack of carbohydrates.

This is an aim of diets like the keto diet, for a normal diet I don't know how this equates to issues with diabetes.