What would you do if you were me, Job advice?

So anywase I have worked at this retail store for number of years and last February I applied at a different retail store. Hoping for maybe better future prospects.

Well anywase the Other Store just called me today, like 3.5 months after I applied there asking for an interview.

Both of these stores are considered non essential and were closed for like two months and opened back up two weeks ago.

I am really leary of what is economically going on and currently at my current job when I make less than my benefit amount I get $768 after taxes in unemployment,

What if there is a second wave and major uncertainty coming in the future so to this conronavirus deal?

What do you guys think?

• Robert

First.  There will never be certainty in the future.  The best you can hope is to take reasonable precautions and live your life.  Next concerning employment, what do you want?  Do you want to remain at the same level?  Do you aspire to management?  Take the interview at the other employer.  Find out if they can offer you a clear path toward your goals.  If they can, I'd seriously consider the job if it is offered.  If it is a lateral move, you may be better off staying with the job you have and are familiar with if there is no pressing issue that makes you want to leave.  The high unemployment rate (which was a mistake from the beginning because it takes away any incentive to go back to work) is a temporary benefit and will end as bankrupt states run out of money.  So at some point you will be forced to work.  Timing is everything and I don't know how to evaluate how long before that happens.  

If you take one of the jobs and then they close again because of another wave, you can go back on unemployment.

But if you refuse to take the jobs because you want to stay on unemployment, then you get nothing from unemployment.  You get unemployment only if you are willing to work and available to work.  Once you decide not to work, you no longer qualify for unemployment.

• Retail isn't always the better way to go, you may get limited hours (if the store isn't essential) and you may get around a minimum wage pay rate. I've worked in retail for over 10 years, that's what it was like for me. 

No one knows if there's going to be a 'second wave', and what's going to be shut down again that's all wait and see right now. If you need a job then go for it, just make sure they're taking all precautions to keep their employees and customers safe. If you lose the job again, you re apply for unemployment again. While you have the job try to save some money in case a 'second wave' happens. 

• Rick B

I think you need to get an education or a trade so that you are not working in retail for the rest of your life.  Get a skill in an area that is always in demand and pays well.  Nursing, Welding, Plumbing, Pharmacy, Electrician.

• Mark

Well, there's a limited time to your unemployment payment related to the virus. That is, it's larger now, more than the usual unemployment. There may not be another virus payment after this one ends.

Sounds like you're asking if you should take a job or not b/c you're getting paid by the government for doing nothing.  Is that right?  That's pretty immoral.  On top of that, unemployment works to make up lost wages.  So if you take the other job and lose it, unemployment should kick in there as well.  

In general, living in fear is never a good way to do well.