Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

How long can you store Sauces or Jam in the refrigerator before it turns bad?

Sometimes when buying food in a take-away I save the sauce jar for later usage. But these doesn't have a general expiration date, so I wonder how long time does Sauces like Soya and Jam stays fresh - both unopened and opened ones?

I know you can taste it first, but I just asking generally, as I just moved out from parents house and really bad when it comes to storing food.

• Amy
    Favorite Answer

Look at it to see if there are spots of mold - it will be white or green.  If there's no mold give it a sniff.  It should just smell like whatever it is - a jam should smell very fruity, a sauce or dressing will usually smell a little vinegary or salty, etc.  All of this should last a very long time because they're generally full of preservatives.  I've used salad dressings for nearly 1 1/2 yrs past the expiration date before they were gone.  I guess we need to eat more salad but the point is they were fine looooong past the exp date

• Anton

I have some jam on toast about once every two weeks.  Jar lasts over a year, no problem.

Ran out, found a gift jar of jam, about 1½" tall, enough for two slices of toast.  Quite good.  No idea when I got it, but at least a decade, maybe two.

ANYTHING in the refrigerator is good until it gets slimy, stinky, or colorful fuzzy.

A year older than that, and they will start waving back at you. 

Jam (store-bought, unopened)     >1 years    

Jam (store-bought, opened)        2+ months

Jam (homemade, unopened)    1 year    

Jam (homemade, opened)        1+ months

A Complete Guide To The Shelf Life Of All Your Favorite Condiments

https://www.delish.com/food-news/g23941778/condime...

• CB

Some of that stuff has no end date - if no green fuzzies exist on top and it doesn't taste like it has carbonated or way off flavor - very likely good to go - years in some cases.