Brendan asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

How much is this (collectable) mountain bike worth?

Men's Vintage Coventry Eagle Racing Bike 1970's-1980's and has been fully restored and serviced

in britain

28 inch wheels

My mistake.   I should have put Racing bike - not mountain bike

I wanted to know what its retail value would have been (new) and just sold for a third less

I don't want an eBay value, as people don't bid much for bikes online, due to shipping costs and not "seeing and feeling it in person".

Your assumption of ebay is 100% false. 

As a ebay business owner I can tell you i charge them £70 van guy for large items they have no problem paying. When shipping abroad they regularly pay over £100 shipping plus import duty plus USA sales tax etc. As for seeing & feeling - they already know exactly what they are buying if not very close idea, they will have spent many hours researching.

Used stuff on ebay sells for very high you wont achieve those prices any where else

I doubt it's collectible. It's just an old, low-end road bike. Its resale value, like any old bike, is whatever someone is willing to pay for it - but probably not much.

I got news for ya.  It's not a 'racing bike' either.  Just a typical, run-of-the-mill, steel frame road bike from probably to mid to late 1970's.  Maybe sold new for around $150 US dollars or £120.  Just because it has a drop down style handlebar doesn't make it a 'racing bike'.  

The Masi Gran Criterium used in the film 'Breaking Away' is a pure racing bike.  Note the absence of the suicide brake levers.  

• pmt853

You don't give much relevant information in your post but at a guess I'd say maybe £30. I very much doubt that most people would regard it as vintage or very collectable.

1) If you think that's a mountain bike, you need new glasses.  It's road bike.  2) It's neither rare, vintage or collectable.  Maybe to a specific individual it might be those things - but not as a general rule.  3) Why is the saddle so low, yet the handlebar raised so high?  Sure sign the bike is the WRONG frame size for whoever is riding it.  4) Take photos from the GEARED side so people can get a better look at the crankset & derailleurs.  Example below.  That one sold on eBay for a mere $86 (US dollars) or about £69.   

Have a look on things like Ebay and see what the same or comparable items are going for.

Or just search "Men's Vintage  Coventry Eagle Racing Bike 1970's-1980's" and a whole host of site, including values, will come up.

• Brendan1 month agoReport

The problem with Ebay is that people won't bid as much due to delivery costs and it's an item people may pay more for, if it's in front of them.

With previous bikes I listed, (on facebook) I simply found it brand new from a big retailer, so that I could just simply list it for 30% less.