Kathya asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Rehoming a pet, person wants to come visit?

I’m rehoming a cat, the person interested wants to come over to see him.

I’m a very awkward kind of person in social situations so I’m not quite sure what I’m supposed to do?

Also I’m sure the cat will be shy towards a stranger so I’m not sure what the family is expecting to occur within this visit.

What kinds of things should I go over with the possible new owners and how long is a long enough visit?

I don’t want them to stay very long but I also don’t want it to be too short and have them leave disappointed.

My social anxiety is really getting me right now, I don’t know what to do, so any tips would be great lol I really hope they adopt him.

• PR
    Favorite Answer

You could have a friend or family member come over to help you, and that would probably be better, anyway. Be sure you really like the people who are interested in adopting the cat. It is O.K . to say you are looking for the "best home" for the cat, which means you can also say, "No" to someone, or tell them you are still thinking about it. Also, have them show you some sort of vet records to show they care for their pets. 

Usually, the visit should be long enough for the people to see the cat, interact with the cat, and then to decide if they like the cat. You can't really put a specific time on this visit, but 30 minutes to an hour seems long enough - if the cat actually comes out to see them. I have had people come to see rescue kittens and had to wait while I fished the kittens out from under the couch.

If you are not comfortable with this situation, consider contacting an animal rescue league. These groups will take the cat and find a good home for it. They interview potential families and make sure they will be a good fit. You can find rescue leagues at local pet supply stores on weekends. Take the cat with you and ask for help. If you call ahead, they will say they are full. 

Just get a friend or someone else you trust to be with you for reassurance.  The person just wants to see that the cat comes from a good home and isn't being abused or whatever, so I'm sure it'll be fine. You'd want to now that they are nice people too for the sake of the cat.