stolen car?

Someone stole my car today. I filed a police report and they are looking for it. they have asked me questions about my car and ive told them details about it and things like that. I called all the towing companies around me and no one has it so I know that it is stolen. although its a long shot, if someone were to find my car, what would happen with the person who stole it (if they found the person as well)? what if the car is wrecked or totaled? would they pay? can I press charges?  I just moved, so I had lots and lots of stuff in the car. the car was locked, so im not sure how they even got into it. it is a red 2012 ford fusion SEL. I don't know a whole lot about what would happen afterward so if anyone could answer my question that would be great! (please no harsh or rude comments). thank you

If they found the thief they'd be arrested for car theft.  It is unlikely that a car thief would ever pay restitution or pay you a dime.  Even if you sued them civilly you'd probably never receive anything from it - unless they own something of value and you could attach it.

If the car is wrecked or totaled your insurance should pay for it.  That is, if you have decent insurance coverage.

They usually don't find the person.  If they do find the person, then charges can be pressed.  It's unlikely that you'll get paid, because chances are that either (a) they won't find the person, or (b) the person won't have a money and therefore won't be able to pay.

• Edna

If you car has been stolen, the first thing you do is notify the police & obtain a police report (which you have). Then, call your insurance company and report your car stolen. If you have full coverage insurance, what will usually happen is that your insurance company will pay you the fair market value of your car (at the time it was stolen) and its contents, less the amount of your deductible; and you can use that to replace your stolen car.

If the person who stole your car is ever located, the police will charge him with the theft of a motor vehicle. But, that won't be your problem and you don't have to worry about it. The police and/or your insurance company will press charges.

Calling towing companies in an attempt to locate your car probably won't do any good. Whoever stole your car doesn't intend to drive it or have it towed anywhere. They intend to drive it to a chop shop and completely strip it and sell all the parts. 

• May

My crystal ball is a bit cloudy today.

What would happen to the person who stole your car is up to the police and the judge. 

Ask them What would happen to the car, if it is found and found damaged and to the "stuff" you had in it because that is up to your insurance company  

What happens afterward is based on a whole lot of things that are unknowns and what-ifs at the present time.  It depends on who stole your vehicle.

Some thieves, usually kids, just drive around until it runs out of fuel and leave it.  Others drive it around, then torch it for kicks.  Some people steal cars to commit other crimes of every description.  Some thieves are professionals, stealing cars for chop shops and illegal exporters.

Most stolen vehicles are recovered, sometimes without any damage.  Your insurance company will wait __ days (varies by jurisdiction) to see if the vehicle is found, then they'll cut you a cheque for the vehicle's value after the deadline passes.  If it's recovered with damage, they'll deal with the damage as part of the theft claim.  If you have "loss of use" coverage, they'll cover you for a rental during the waiting period.

What happens next is totally unknown.  What happens now is you've reported the theft to the police and your insurance provider, so you wait.

• Eastside Guz
      1 month agoReport

They stole my car back in 1993 but only took my valuables. They stole my dads car back in the 70s and almost drove it to Tijuana (ran out of gas in Oceanside - locked gas cap) probably to take it to a chop shop for parts to sell.

Someone stole my daughter's car and used it to rob 2 liquor stores.  The police found it, had it towed and dusted all over for fingerprints.  Then they said we could come and get it and we learned that the clutch and transmission were wrecked.  Our insurance company sent an adjuster who looked at it, wrote the car off.  The insurance company offered us a reasonable cheque.  We went car shopping. End of story 

Do not know what happened to the thieves, the police and the insurance company had to deal with them.

• Erik

They may or may not have told you this, but 80% of cars that are stolen are eventually recovered.  I have had two different cars stolen, one was found right away,  the other took a week.  Basically the thieves took them so they could go through them, and then they just left them there.

So hopefully you can get the car back.  If someone just leaves it somewhere, and a meter maid is about to give it a ticket, hopefully they will look it up, see that it is stolen, and notify you.

But unless they actually get pulled over while driving it, you might as well forget about catching them and pressing charges.  That will not happen.  Just be happy you got your car back (which you will be), and hope it's not too badly messed up.