How to sleep train my 10 month old ?

My son used to sleep through the night but now he wakes up 5-6 times a night. He is teething but I don’t believe that is the issue because when I give him Motrin it doesn’t make a difference (it did the first time he was teething. He doesn’t go to sleep on his own (I nurse him to sleep). I am weaning him off breast feeding so that he is on cow’s milk by the time he turn one so I would like to know the best route of getting him to fall asleep on his own. If you mention the cry it out method, how long do you leave him in there before tending to him. He has gone over half an hour and still cries so please give me amount of time on leaving him alone. 

• LizB

You can Google some reference charts for guidance on how long to wait before checking on your baby (they start with short time frames, like 3-5 min, and then gradually increasing), but IMO if your baby is crying for 30 minutes nonstop, you should forget about sleep training for the night and just do whatever it is he needs you to do. If he *was* sleeping all night but now isn't, it's probably just a growth-related sleep regression, either physical or developmental. That means after a few days (or weeks) he'll probably get through this and return to sleeping well. 

Don't worry about creating "bad sleeping habits," either. During a sleep regression you might have to vary from your nightly routine some, but that doesn't mean your previous bedtime routine wasn't good. Baby is just going through a thing, and he'll get past it. Sometimes there's nothing you can do about this sleep regressions other than wait them out, and caffeinate well in the meantime.