Anonymous

Did I screw up my chances of getting into grad school?

I’m about to be a senior. I have a 3.5 cumulative GPA but my transcript has too many Ws. I counted and there are about 7. How bad is that? 

• Lisa

You're not likely to get into Harvard, but not all grad schools have extremely high standards.  A 3.5 is good enough for some of them.  But what else have you done that can balance out all those Ws?  Many grad programs look at more than just your academic record.  Any jobs or volunteer work that shows you have a real interest and ability in the area you want to go to grad school for?  Any published articles in that area?  Any experts in the field who are willing to write recommendation letters for you?  If you are applying to programs that require you take the GRE, now is the time to study for it.  There are classes you can take to help you prepare for it. . . consider spending a considerable amount of time this summer studying.  And then do really great in your fall semester classes.  All A's is the way to go.

Good luck to you.

• drip

What’s your GRE score? How competitive  is your field, the universities you want to apply to.

Not much you can do about now.  Research universities and apply to the ones you it the best, make sure to apply to 3-4 schools.

• MS

It's not great.  You should be prepared to answer questions about those Ws.  No one cares much about a couple of Ws, but that many certainly suggests there were some academic issues.

Did you try APPLYING to grad school?