Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 1 month ago

Kingsnake infection?

So I sold my female Mexican black kingsnake yesterday to a couple who wanted to breed her. They told me they were taking her to a vet today to make sure she was all good. Well they texted me and said that their boss (who owns a reptile store or something) probed her to determine sex for them and they said that a yellow goo/puss came out. 

They wanted half the purchase price back to pay vet bills because they say she’s sick but I said no, but I’d refund the full amount and take her back. I’m picking her up in a couple days. 

I owned this snake for around 5 years, they are claiming this infection is likely 5 years old (not sure how that works). I was sold the snake as a male but she laid eggs after I bought her so obviously she wasn’t properly sexed originally. 

The snake had never had any issues with me, always ate, drank regularly, and shed nicely. She does have a bump by her tail but she’s always had it and I thought nothing of it. 

She was my first and only female in my snake collection and I never tried to breed her or had interest in trying, so I have no idea if this is a sex specific issue. I don’t have a reptile vet close to me at the moment but I’ll be looking for one I can take her to in the near future. 

Has anyone ever heard of an infection like this or how to deal with it? She was never lethargic and stool was always normal. 

I am planning on taking her to the vet but am just wondering if people have seen this before so I have an idea of what I’m dealing with, if possible of course. She will go to a vet regardless

I wouldn't have refunded the full price. Probing by a layman is dangerous and the probe is likely to be what injured her. I don't even trust a vet to do it. Most of them don't know how. Once the snake is an adult, as yours is, you can sex them accurately by body (tail) contours.

Sounds like they are full of it.  An infection lasting 5 years lol she would be dead by now

I would make sure you get the exact snake back and they don’t try to give you a different one to keep the female.  

I’ll take buy her from ya. I could use an adult Mexican black king. I have 4 babies now 

It’s hard to say what it was without seeing it but I’m thinking the same as Thea. 

• Thea

The goo may simply have been scent gland material. The probe would enter the scent gland pockets on a female. Reptiles also do not produce liquid pus, it is a semi-solid.

Why were they probing her?  Did they decide to not believe you about her previously  producing eggs?? 

Sounds a wee bit fishy on their part. I think you made the right call in taking her back.

maybe you should take her to the vet

• joeparker67
      1 month agoReport

That is the only thing you and the other pearl ever say 

i would take her to the vet