Should I get my 10 year old a .22 caliber gun?

His birthday is coming up and after shooting my 22. He is hooked and wants his own for his birthday and nothing else 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Fire arms safety training begins with knowing safe gun storage!

So get a locking gun cabinet to keep guns in. If you don't already have one. One of the biggest safety mistakes gun owners make is in not practicing safe gun storage.

Then consider buying him "his" .22.

But he has to understand that if it is not out for authorized use it is to stay locked in the gun cabinet. When you both go to the range take your gun and his gun to practice.

If he takes the gun out of the cabinet with out authorization he has to understand he has forfeited his ownership.

Do not let him keep that weapon where he can get it on impulse or with out you knowing it!

• Kaboomboon1 month agoReport

Yep I will put it in my safe thanks for the answer

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You should be arrested for giving your underage son a gun, you monster.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That is about how old I was when I got my first shotgun. If he is responsible and you have taught him proper handling I do not see why not. May want to keep in your gun safe and only let him shoot when you can supervise for a while, but no reason not to buy him a gun.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Depends on a lot of things. Do YOU have the time to spend with him to teach him respect for a gun? Are safety courses available? Will you be able to take him to a shooting range? If he's very mature for his age, then yes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ann
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I would say no.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.