Desiree asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Puppy troubles?

How can we help get our puppy acclimated to her new home?

We just got a 9 month female black mouth cur a few days ago. She was the runt of the litter and had 4 older brothers. When we got her she was very skittish. Its been a few days and shes calmed down a little but she follows me constantly. She's never been inside before so she wants to be in all the time. She wants to lie right next to me, in my face. We're giving her toys treats, designated spaces for her like a doghouse outside. We also have a two year old and I hope they can bond more in the future. But when we leave her in the backyard she whines! She scratches the doors and flips out. How can we help her be ok with being outside by herself and not follow me all the time? At some point we're all going back to school and work and later this month we're going on a short vacay without her. Will this just take some time for all of us to get used to this? Thanks!

Update:

So after e.h. Amos SCATHING response, we gave the dog back. The lady seemed to not care for my reasoning why. "Just come drop her off then". We attempted to bring her inside but the lady just told us to put her down, there in the driveway right off the road. I almost hit her on the way out cuz she just started running. We also tried to give the toys and bones she liked, but the lady didn't want them. I was told they have 15 dogs already and they're all raised to be hunters and farming dogs.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It takes time.  Being the runt of the litter she may also be very submissive.  Fearful of many things, cowers, lowering her head, startles easy, just showing fear to many things.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • PR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Although you already have chosen a fav answer, a note to help you in the future:

Dogs are pack animals. That means they want to be with the family, which is their new "pack". In asking a dog to acclimate to a dog house, outside, you are condemning the dog to what in a dog brain is "death". The reason for this is that the pack protects one another, hunts/feeds together, plays together, and supports one another - similar to human families. When a dog or similar animal who lives in a group does this to a pack member, it shows either disapproval, or the intent to deprive the animal of its needs, thus to death of the animal. That animal is now considered not useful to the group and is condemned.

This is the reason the dog would whine when outside, alone: It knows it is not accepted and expects to die. It is lonesome, as well.

With a small child in the home, you either need to get a dog you feel can live in the home with you as part of the family, or devote your time and attention to your child, and not get a dog at this time. 

• 1 month ago

WHY would you BUY or take a 9 mo old dog, who has spent ALL of her life, living OUTDOORS and only with litter mates?  She is certainly DOG-oriented, rather than human-bonded, since she was not taken into a home or worked with BY 16 weeks.  While  she might lack 3 months of being an adult - she is TECHNICALLY able to come in heat & have a litter of puppies, if still intact.  (This is not a nice,  easy going ADAPTABLE 7-12 week old PUPPY.)  She is also ADULT SIZE by this point.

Yes, she is now stuck like GLUE to you - having had ZERO socialization (while the WINDOW in puppy hood was open for it) and now having ZERO COPING SKILLS and is terrified.

WHY - would you adopt a dog from such a source WHEN you have a two YEAR OLD CHILD in the home?  This is NOT a safe dog.  Black-mouth curs are NOT recommended for homes with YOUNG children, nor are they recommended for novice owners, even if you buy one at 8 weeks from a REPUTABLE breeder (which YOU DID NOT!)

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/black-mouth-cur#/sl...

You could have EASILY adopted a dog (like a Golden Retriever) KNOWN to be good WITH CHILDREN from a rescue group (for purebred or mixes) and the dog would have been fully vetted, up to date on heart worm and flea control, WELL SOCIALIZED, crate trained and housebroken.

Skittish dogs are unpredictable & can EASILY become FEAR BITERS and this dog is emotionally stunted (having only lived outside with other dogs) & will NEVER fully recover.  I do not agree with this choice, as to the SAFETY of your child.  You have chosen to take on a DOG WITH serious DEFICITS AND BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS.  From your questions and actions it is clear, you are ILL EQUIPPED to MANGE THIS (NOT BEING A PROFESSIONAL FOSTER HOME or DOG TRAINER).

The dog has been RIPPED from her PACK and instead, you have DUMPED and (as far as she can understand) in the yard (so essentially you have "ABANDONED HER").  

BANISHMENT from "the pack" is the most severe PUNISHMENT possible, to INFLICT on a pack animal - such as a dog.  She would have been better off to have been LEFT where she was.  Between the actions of never having been socialized by the former breeder/owner (in a home) or not having learned to live INDEPENDENTLY (but instead being ripped from a dog-pack & paced in a YARD and left alone) she now is manifesting SEPARATION ANXIETY - which you have done everything possible...... to ENCOURAGE.

You cannot acclimate her to the house - when she is HOUSED OUTSIDE and away from your family.  You have done everything wrong, you could possible do (aside from BEATING her).  

The best thing is to REALIZE you have made a mistake and RETURN the dog.  You cannot fix her, you are not capable.  She is not a safe choice for a two YEAR old child - who has NO understanding of CAUSE and EFFECT and the child WILL not be able to follow your directions PER the dog or control her behavior TOWARDS the dog.  This is an ACCIDENT waiting to happen.

I say this from having rescued & placed over 100 dogs.

• ...Show all comments
    • PR
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Why do you use so many CAPITAL letters? It appears you don't EXPECT anyone to UNDERSTAND anything you have said, THUS making your answer less WELL perceived. This person obviously did not understand these things about dogs, but excess emphasis won't make the point any better than your knowledge

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.