Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Would you find this behavior annoying, or do I need to lighten up a little bit?

I have a housemate that repeats everything that she finds funny while watching tv. For example; someone/a character on tv is talking and she'd repeat the sentence immediately after they said it. She's been doing this a lot more frequently these past couple months and it's really getting on my nerves. How would you tell a person like this to stop without blowing their head off?

I've been told that whenever I tell someone to stop doing something that makes me uncomfortable or when I have to stick up for myself in other situations, I wind up "blowing the other person's head off" instead? However, I need to say something soon otherwise I just might end up smacking her in the mouth instead. It's very irritating.

We also have multiple televisions in the house, so it's not like she can't just go and watch something else if she's bored or whatever. She just comes downstairs to do what she needs to do, but repeats things she hears from the show that I am currently watching. 

Reported. Read the damn question, illiterate. 

seek immediate professional mental help. "saying blowing their head off" is a cry for help.

• drip

It is a habit.  They probably don’t know how much they do it. You need to speak up when it is not bothering you. When you sit down to watch TV the first time she repeats tell her,  Hey do you realize you habitually repeat what is said on TV? You really do it a lot. Has any one else brought this up to you?  

Keep saying something when she does it next.  Try not to be snarky, sarcastic. Watch the tone of your voice.  When you are told you do something so annoying it is embarrassing, your defenses go up. So try to keep how she feels in mind.  

You can’t hear their conversation because you are repeating the last line out loud. 

You may need to finally get up and walk away. 

Nickname her "the parrot". Simple....tell her "there is no need to repeat what we both just heard". Say that EVERY TIME she parrots.

Every time she does it, say "Oh rats Jenny, I missed what they said next!"

EVERY time.

it is possible your housemate is unaware of her behavior, so calmly and assertively (not aggressively) share your observations and explain why her manner frustrates you.

i would just talk to her about it

• Chanel

You could say calmly "could you stop repeating everything that is being said. It is very irritating.

Sometimes people are not aware of their quirks that annoy other people.

You need politely ask them to stop because it is annoying, then lower your expectations that they stop immediately.  People have have habits, so their is a learning curve you must respect before making any demands.  Your choice to remain quiet when it first began is yours to make, but it doesn't give you the right to blow their head off when they don't immediately meet your demands.  Or course the alternative is to NOT watch tv with them anymore.  Good Luck.