Which college should I attend?

I've been accepted at UNH, UMaine, and Hampshire College. If I go to either of the state schools, I'll be taking mechanical or industrial engineering. If I go to Hampshire College, I'll take applied design. I plan on having a career in product design. I have pretty bad test anxiety, which is why I applied to Hampshire college. They don't use a standard grading system like most other schools and you can combine different interests in your degree. I am aware that they are having financial issues and they are part of the 5 college consortium. Hampshire is the closest to home and most expensive, 50k+, (I live in central MA). UMaine is the farthest, but also the cheapest, 11k. (they're offering in state tuition). 

Update:

I'd like opinions of the schools and environment, etc. and any advice from current or past students would be helpful. Thank you!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • MS
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I would avoid Hampshire.  You don't want to be someplace if/when they have to shut down.  Last I heard, they were seeking a merger - if successful, that could change the grading system anyway and you'd lose the main reason you seem to be considering them.  UMaine is a good school, and in-state tuition is a great offering.  

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

I agree with Drip; steer clear of any colleges that are in financial difficulties, especially severe ones like Hampshire College's. I knew some students at Dowling College and it was a real mess. 

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I would not recommended Hampshire College. Any rumor, news, of them shutting down should keep you away. 

Says here they only admitted 15 students 

https://www.boston.com/news/education/2019/05/09/h...

I would stick with the cheapest UMaine.  Get your undergraduate degree with as little student debt as possible. 

With your major you are better off going on for a Masters degree. Your job options and salary will be better.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.