Which college should I attend?

I've been accepted at UNH, UMaine, and Hampshire College. If I go to either of the state schools, I'll be taking mechanical or industrial engineering. If I go to Hampshire College, I'll take applied design. I plan on having a career in product design. I have pretty bad test anxiety, which is why I applied to Hampshire college. They don't use a standard grading system like most other schools and you can combine different interests in your degree. I am aware that they are having financial issues and they are part of the 5 college consortium. Hampshire is the closest to home and most expensive, 50k+, (I live in central MA). UMaine is the farthest, but also the cheapest, 11k. (they're offering in state tuition). 

I'd like opinions of the schools and environment, etc. and any advice from current or past students would be helpful. Thank you!

• MS

I would avoid Hampshire.  You don't want to be someplace if/when they have to shut down.  Last I heard, they were seeking a merger - if successful, that could change the grading system anyway and you'd lose the main reason you seem to be considering them.  UMaine is a good school, and in-state tuition is a great offering.  

I agree with Drip; steer clear of any colleges that are in financial difficulties, especially severe ones like Hampshire College's. I knew some students at Dowling College and it was a real mess. 

• drip

I would not recommended Hampshire College. Any rumor, news, of them shutting down should keep you away. 

Says here they only admitted 15 students 

https://www.boston.com/news/education/2019/05/09/h...

I would stick with the cheapest UMaine.  Get your undergraduate degree with as little student debt as possible. 

With your major you are better off going on for a Masters degree. Your job options and salary will be better.